Meet your guide for pickup in downtown New Orleans and head for a 2-hour boat tour in Honey Island Swamp, a wildlife preserve that is one of the last protected wetlands in Louisiana. Visit a Cajun village only accessible by boat; learn about the animals and plants in the lush swamps; and get close to wildlife with an expert local guide.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans, LA
After pickup from one of 16 pickup locations in New Orleans, it's a short drive across Lake Pontchartrain to Honey Island Swamp, a wildlife preserve that is one of the last protected wetlands in Louisiana.
Your guide welcomes you aboard a custom-made 22-passenger flat-bottom boat. The smaller sized, quiet boat can fit through narrow passages in the swamp foliage so that you see more and get closer to wildlife. It’s the ideal way to take in the lush environment of Cajun country.
As your guide explains the history of Louisiana’s wetlands and swamp ecosystem, be on the lookout for resident wildlife including alligators, raccoons, owls, wild boar, nutria, snakes, turtles, black bears, bald eagles and many other bird species. Get a close look at some wild gators as your guide shares facts about the toothy beasts, who can weigh up to 1,000 pounds (453 kg). Their ancestors once roamed the earth with the dinosaurs and scientists estimate that they have existed for more than 150 million years.
Glide safely through the fertile swamplands, learning about Cajun culture and how local people have utilized the swamp for food, homes, and medicine from your guide. You even see an authentic Cajun village that is only accessible by boat. Gain an understanding of why the wetlands are slowly disappearing and about the efforts being made to preserve Louisiana's natural treasures.
After a fascinating 2-hour boat tour on Honey Island Swamp, your guide returns you to shore. You can either take the coach back to your New Orleans hotel or make your own way to your next destination, depending on the option you have chosen when booking.
Duration: 2 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- PLEASE NOTE: tour ONLY picks up from the location listed. Pick ups from any other location cannot be accommodated.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 33 travelers
- Transportation from downtown New Orleans
- Professional guide
- Live commentary on board
- 5pm tour departs from 135 Decatur St, all others depart from DoubleTree hotel at 300 Canal St
- Food and drinks
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Cajun Encounters Tour Co. in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
- ALL SALES FINAL.
- Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates.
- Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment.
- Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale and Extraordinary Event Policy do not apply.
- See Viator voucher terms under "Viator Vouchers" here.