What You'll Get
By the middle of the 20th century, architects trained in the tenets of Modernism began to experiment with new materials and forms. Their buildings featured technical precision, an expressed structure and a lack of ornamentation. But rather than just the “skin and bones” architecture advocated by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Mid-Century Modern buildings often used sculptural curved forms and fewer 90 degree angles than the International Style buildings that predated them.
Architects experimented with poured concrete, rather than just steel and glass, and used various prefabricated methods of construction. Bertrand Goldberg’s Marina City is one such example.
- Organic forms inspired by nature
- Clean lines
- No applied ornamentation
- Innovative uses of glass
- A mixture of various materials
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The Chicago Architecture Center or CAC (formerly the Chicago Architecture Foundation, CAF) is at the south end of the Magnificent Mile near the intersection of Michigan and Wacker.
- Tour Guides are trained and certified by the CAC. As volunteers, they are exceptionally motivated, enthusiastic, and capable interpreters of Chicago's world-class architectural legacy. CAC tours are the real deal - narrated, but not scripted, led by Chicago enthusiasts
- Not recommended for young children
- Admission to the Galleries of the Chicago Architecture Center
- Walking tour of Chicago's modern and postmodern architecture
- Narration by a professional and certified guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drink
Chicago Architecture Center, 111 E Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60601
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Chicago Architecture Center in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.