Explore Chicago’s Loop and South Loop neighborhoods located right downtown. You’ll visit renowned neighborhood establishments, sample delicious beer, and learn how well beer pairs with Chicago’s vice history - including gambling, saloons, crime bosses like Al Capone, and other nefarious activities in the 1800s and 1900s!
What You'll Get
On this tour you will learn the basics of Chicago’s vice history, all the way from the city’s first vice district, the “Sands,” to the infamous levy district and the associated debauchery, to Capone and the mob. Explore the basics of different beer styles and beer’s influence on criminal enterprises, especially during Prohibition.
We take great pride in visiting locally-owned establishments. These places not only provide friendly service, but they also have character and are unique places that add to the neighborhoods.
First, we will visit an old Chicago bar and restaurant where Capone himself was known to hang out. Next, we will make a stop at one of the oldest bars in the city, started by a one of the many German immigrants that moved to Chicago, still holding liquor license No. 1 after Prohibition. After, we will stop by a blues club that was started by Buddy Guy, one of the ultimate legends in the business, and finally, visit a new microbrewery that pays homage to Chicago’s vice past.
Note that we will be making the following substitutions during the winter months to make the tour more weather appropriate and accommodate our vendors:
December: First Draft will be subbed in for Berghoff
January: Brando’s Speakeasy and First Draft will be subbed in for Buddy Guy’s and Vice District
February-March: First Draft will be subbed in for Vice District
Please also note also that other food tastings will be subbed in for pizza in January-March. Other location substitutions are possible from time to time based on our vendor schedules.
As you can see, there is a lot that is offered on this tour – you’ll learn about Chicago history, primarily as it relates to vice – and you’ll be surprised by how many incredible stories we share. You’ll taste delicious beer from visiting unique, local establishments, with great variety on both. You’ll also walk and get a feel for these interesting neighborhoods – the Loop and South Loop are some of the oldest neighborhoods in the city, and we have no doubt that you’ll want to explore the area even more.
Combining it all together with great people, including you, and it makes for an unforgettable experience. In short, our tour is a really unique experience that is fun and memorable.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 21 years
- In the special requirements field at check out, please note if you have any food allergies
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- Professional guide
- Beer tastings (if option selected)
- Pizza pairing at one location
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
S. Wabash Avenue
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Chicago Beer Experience, Inc. in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.