Take a trip to the beautiful Verde Valley in Central Arizona. Experience the history of the old ghost town of Jerome which sits atop Cleopatra Hill and enjoy a tour of the Copper Art Museum in Clarkdale. The highlight of your trip will be a picturesque ride in first class aboard the historic Verde Canyon Railroad.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Jerome Arizona, Jerome, AZ 86331, USA
Our first major tour stop will be the historic mining town of Jerome. Mining in Jerome started in the late 1800s and over the course of its history has produced approximately 33 million tons of ore including copper and gold. During our time in this historic mining ghost town, we will explore the history that made it “the wickedest town in the West.”
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Arizona Copper Art Museum, 849 Main St, Clarkdale, AZ 86324
After our Jerome tour, we’ll visit the copper mining mecca of Clarkdale and the Arizona Copper Art Museum. Using the original schoolhouse, the Arizona Copper Art Museum tour showcases more than 5,000 unique pieces dating back to 3500 BCE. During our time at this world-class art museum, guests will explore both functional and artistic uses of this second oldest known metal on the planet. From the practical uses in-home kitchen supplies and tools to the ornate works of art used to adorn palaces and castles, the wide uses of copper are nothing short of amazing!
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Verde Canyon Railroad, 300 N Broadway, Clarkdale, AZ 86324, USA
From the Arizona Copper Art Museum, we will tour the historic Verde Canyon Railroad for a chance to enjoy incredible views of the Verde Valley. The very first tracks were put down over 100 years ago to transport local workers and ore mined from the surrounding Jerome mountains and are still in use today. The unspoiled wilderness you will tour through is a scenic and historic treasure that has left people in awe since 1911. With stunning views of the Verde Valley from either your first-class seats or your open-air viewing car, the casual elegance of the train allows guests to discover the heritage uniqueness of the landscape and its diverse ecosystem. From the stunning 1,800-foot tall red rock canyon walls as we get closer to Sedona to the consistently rippling waters of the Verde River, the scenery explored on this four-hour journey is truly breathtaking. As they say, “it’s always a good day when you’re on a train.”
Duration: 4 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 13 travelers
- Appetizers aboard the Verde Canyon Railway
- Unlimited Bottled Water
- All Taxes
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Arizona Copper Art Museum
- Entry/Admission - Verde Canyon Railroad
- Guide Gratuities
- Third Party Activities
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Detours of Arizona in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.