Johnston Canyon is one of Banff National Park’s most popular hiking spots, but most people don’t think to experience it at night. Your headlight (yours to keep after the tour) makes the frozen waterfalls shimmer as you hike along the suspended catwalk in quiet darkness. The evening icewalk is all about heightening your senses, appreciating the darkness, the scents of the fresh pine forest and enjoying the silence of a night spent beneath the stars as you follow your guide through this narrow, water-formed canyon.
About This Deal
DEAL FEATURED AND CHARGED IN US CURRENCY.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Bow Valley Parkway, Johnson or equal, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta Canada
Travel through breathtaking scenery and nature on your way to the trailhead and learn about the history and geology of Johnston Canyon.
Stop At: Johnston Canyon, Banff National Park, Alberta Canada
Light your way through this narrow, water-formed canyon as your small group follows your guide to the Canyon’s lower falls. The suspended catwalks, built into the limestone walls, make this an easy trip for everyone. Along the way, your guide will highlight unique features by powerful flashlight and pause for moments of darkness and quiet to foster an appreciation for spending time in the canyon at night.
At the turn around point, your guide will illuminate the expanding ice that encases the rushing water and escort you through a natural tunnel onto the viewing platform, beside the cascading Lower Falls themselves. Warm up with hot chocolate and maple cookies while you look around the Lower Falls, the turnaround point.
The return journey is your opportunity to travel without your headlamp (should you wish!). You’ll be amazed as to how quickly your eyes adjust to the darkness, enough for you to travel through the pine forest guided only by the ambient light of the moon and the stars above your head.
What to expect:
• Walking Time: 1 - 1.5 hours
• Return Distance: 1.4 miles (2.2 kilometers)
• Elevation Gain: 213 feet (65 meters)
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 8 years. All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Guests should dress in ski wear for this trip including hats, mittens, and warm boots. A detailed list of items to wear and bring is provided on your voucher.
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Professional guide
- Ice cleats
- Hiking pole
- Souvenir headlamp to keep
- Maple cookie snack, hot chocolate
- Small group size (up to 12 guests per guide)
- Pick up from the public bus parking located behind the Mount Royal Hotel.
- Optional gratuities
2 hours 30 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Discover Banff Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
- ALL SALES FINAL.
- DEAL FEATURED AND CHARGED IN US CURRENCY.
- Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates.
- Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment.
- Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale and Extraordinary Event Policy do not apply.
- See Viator voucher terms under "Viator Vouchers" here.