HISTORY OF THE TIBURON PENINSULA BEFORE THE RAILROAD: INDIGENOUS PEOPLE, EXPLORATION, AND SETTLEMENT + LYFORD’S HYGEIA, BELVEDERE and ANGEL ISLAND HISTORY
YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT:
• The Coast Miwok indigenous people and their lives on the Tiburon Peninsula.
• The Miwok’s first encounters with Europeans.
• The treatment of the Coast Miwok by the Spaniards and later by the Americans.
• Why it took 200 years for the Spanish to enter San Francisco Bay through the Golden Gate.
• Juan de Ayala’s sailing into San Francisco Bay and landing on Tiburon Point.
• The Tiburon Peninsula's first European settlers, John Thomas Reed and his descendants.
• Life on the Peninsula before the coming of the railroad in 1884.
• A visit to Lyford’s Stone Tower, the entrance to Dr. Benjamin Lyford's Hygeia, a vision of Tiburon as the world's finest health resort and residential community.
• The history of Angel Island, and how it was saved from commercial development.
• The early history of the City of Belvedere.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: San Francisco Bay, San Francisco, CA
We will always be walking along the San Francisco Bay waterfront and viewing the City and the Golden Gate Bridge from Tiburon. While walking toward Lyford's Stone Tower, I will discuss the history of the Coast Miwok indigenous people, the early exploration of the area and its first settlers. Walking back to Main Street, I will discuss the history of Angel Island and Belvedere.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Lyford's Stone Tower, 2034 Paradise Dr, Belvedere Tiburon, CA 94920, USA
This is the original entrance to Lyford's Hygeia, a vision held by Dr. Benjamin Franklin Lyford to create the greatest, healthiest resort and residential community in the world in Tiburon. While there, I will discuss his life and his plans for Hygeia, and we will begin to view Angel Island and talk about its history and conservation.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Angel Island State Park, Pier 41, San Francisco, CA 94109
We will view and talk about the history of Angel Island as an immigration station, a quarantine station, a military outpost and a Nike missile base. We DO NOT visit Angel Island on this tour. We view it from the Tiburon waterfront.
Duration: 20 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Stroller accessible
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Wheelchair accessible
- The walking is not strenuous, but there is one section which requires some uphill walking.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
10 Main St, Belvedere Tiburon, CA 94920, USA
90 to 120 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Tiburon Walking Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
Need To Know
- ALL SALES FINAL.
- Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates.
- Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment.
- Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale and Extraordinary Event Policy do not apply.
- See Viator voucher terms under "Viator Vouchers" here.