JAZZ! SURF! PUNK!
Discover how this tiny beach town became a mecca for trailblazing music for more than 75 years. Walk with Joe Nolte, “The Godfather of South-Bay Punk” on a musical journey through time.
Music is the thread that connects one generation to the next, but this thoughtful and intimate story is about more than music. It’s about the history of Hermosa.
Whether you’re a first-time visitor, or you’ve lived in Hermosa your whole life, you’ll discover hidden gems, hear untold stories, and better appreciate what truly makes Hermosa, Hermosa.
This unique walking tour combines an immersive audio and visual experience from a free app you download onto your phone as well as an in-person guide, the creator of the app.
NOTE: Start times can be flexible, Just message for other options for start times.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hermosa Beach Pier, 1 Pier Ave, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254-3731
We'll take a walk out onto the pier and learn about Hermosa's early history and people, from the local Native American Tongva tribe, to the area's settlers. You'll see a photo taken 100 years ago and stand in the exact spot it was taken. Listen to a 94 year old surfer, Tommy Rice describe what it was like to be a surfing pioneer and sleep under the pier where you stand. Then you'll hear about how swing music came to Hermosa and changed this town forever.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: The Lighthouse Cafe, 30 Pier Ave, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254, USA
You'll hear the story of how a struggling musician and a down on his luck gambler transformed a dive bar in 1949 into one of THE most happening jazz clubs west of Chicago. Hear the stories from the people who were here in the 50's. From Miles Davis, Chet Baker, Dizzy Gillespie, all the greats played The Lighthouse.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Abigaile Restaurant and Brewery, 1301 Manhattan Ave, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254, USA
Visit the location that was "The Church", where hardcore punk rock was born in the late 70's. You'll hear from voices like Keith Morris from Black Flag who lived and practiced there and Jim Lindberg from Pennywise. See photos of the punk scene from photographer, "Spot'.
Duration: 10 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- plenty of room for social distancing on this tour.
- Lunch - Tour takers can join me after our walk at a Restaurant on the Pier, will offer you 1 complimentary drink (alcoholic or non) with any item on the menu!
- Download the free app and Hermosa Audio Tour
- 1 Speaker per group tour
- Smart phone and headphones or earbuds
- Entry/Admission - Hermosa Beach Pier
- Entry/Admission - The Lighthouse Cafe
- Entry/Admission - Abigaile Restaurant and Brewery
1 hour 15 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Experience GPS Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
- ALL SALES FINAL.
- Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates.
- Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment.
- Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale and Extraordinary Event Policy do not apply.
- See Viator voucher terms under "Viator Vouchers" here.