Witness the legendary parrots of San Francisco’s Telegraph Hill. This urban safari takes you through the Telegraph Hill neighborhood in search of the famous wild parrot colony. Descended from escaped pets, this naturalized flock has been popularized by books, news stories, travel guides and documentaries. Your guide will point out other interesting locales along the way, such as buried ships and the stomping grounds of Bummer and Lazarus, San Francisco’s most famous dogs. If you’ve covered the city’s main attractions and you’re looking for something more off beat, this fun, unique San Francisco experience is perfect for you.
What You'll Get
Meet at the Columbus Statue in front of Coit Tower in San Francisco’s Telegraph Hill neighborhood at 4pm. From here, your friendly, knowledgeable guide will lead you on a 3-hour walking tour in search of this neighborhood’s legendary parrot colony.
You’ll learn about this history of these unique birds -- primarily red-masked parakeets -- who call Telegraph Hill home. Descended from escaped or released pets, they've become a naturalized colony. You’ll also hear how these parrots have been the subject of books, news stories, travel guides and documentaries.
As you search for these famous feathered friends, be sure to listen for their distinctive call, your guide will point out interesting sights along the way, including buried ships, a redwood tree grove, the original San Francisco Bay waterline (hint: it’s not where you think) and the stomping grounds of Bummer and Lazarus, San Francisco’s most famous dogs who became canine celebrities in the 1860s.
If for some reason parrots aren’t sighted on your tour, you’ll be treated to your own DVD copy of The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill documentary to watch at home. Your Telegraph Hill walking tour ends at Sue Bierman Park.
Note: A portion of ticket proceeds go to the San Francisco based non-profit group Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Tour may be cancelled in the event of rain. In this case, travelers will be offered an alternate departure time or a full-refund
- Binoculars may enhance the enjoyment of the tour but are not necessary
- Walking tour covers hilly terrain with some steep areas. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Should parrots not be sighted during the tour, guests will be ordered the 83-minute DVD The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill at no additional charge
- A portion of all ticket sales go to the San Francisco based non-profit group Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue
- Due to recent legislation, the parrots may no longer be hand-fed
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- Professional guide
- Narrated walking tour
- Entry/Admission - Telegraph Hill
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
1 Telegraph Hill Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Explore San Francisco in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.