Journey to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park for an in-depth volcano experience. Your Certified Guide will share a mix of natural and cultural history about Hawaii's formation, illuminating the stories behind the ever-changing landscape of the Big Island.
• On this in-depth volcano experience, your Certified Guide will illuminate the historic events that recently changed the landscape of Hawaii.
• Enjoy 2-3 miles of hiking around the park’s most dynamic terrain. Your expert Guide will select the best route based on the day's conditions.
• Picnic in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park overlooking mesmerizing views of the Volcano landscape.
• Gain exclusive access to Kauhi Cavern, an off-road private lava tube known for its bright yellow and gold cave walls.
• Enjoy late afternoon pupus (appetizers) on the farm surrounding our exclusive lava tube.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hawaii Forest and Trail, 73-5593A Olowalu St, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740-2613
This is the Big Island's most “in-depth” volcano experience. Join our National Park Certified Guides on a full-day adventure that will take you on a journey of our dramatic volcano activity from past to present.
The day begins with a scenic drive over the stark and beautiful Saddle Road. Make a quick stop at the Maunakea Recreation Area for snacks, bathroom, stretch and to set the stage for the day as you overlook mesmerizing views of Maunakea and Maunaloa.
From there we head straight to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. This park has been closed to the public from May 2018 to September 2018 due to recent volcanic activity. The park has now reopened with newly formed hardened lava and changed landscape. Your guide will prepare you for the day's hike with a bite to eat, hiking gear, and background information on the 2-3 mile hike. Given the ever-changing environment of this active volcano, our guides will select the route that best suites the group's interests & abilities. See the transformative stages of Kilauea and the power of Pele on the most unique and fulfilling volcano experience. Enjoy lunch after a nice hike in a scenic area of the park.
The next stop is a treat -- enjoyed only by Hawaii Forest and Trail guests! Your guide will take you traversing into the gorgeous Kauhi Cavern. This exclusive access into this private lava tube is known for its rare yellow and gold microbial mats living on and accenting the cave walls. This cave has many unique features including its expansive rooms, 35 foot ceilings, bright golden walls and an “upside down” forest of roots hanging from the cave ceiling. Explore this underground world of volcanic history as your guide paints a picture of volcano past and present.
Finally, enjoy an afternoon "pau hana" (end of day ritual) that includes appetizers sourced with local products grown from the very farm that surround this spectacular cave.
Your guide will then take you back to your hotel, with a new found perspective on the powerful forces that shape our earth.
Stop At: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
Join our National Park Certified Guides on an adventure through the new and dramatic landscape of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. See how the historically large collapse of the Halemaumau Crater has changed Kilauea Volcano forever.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Kauhi, Hawaii 96717, USA
Our guide will take you through a private lava tube known for its bright yellow and gold microbial mats living on and accenting the cave walls. This lava tube is only accessible to Hawaii Forest & Trail guests.
Duration: 1 hour
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Guests on this tour should not be physically challenged or unable to walk short distances of 2 to 3 miles on uneven terrain.
- Must be 8 years old or older
- It is recommended to wear comfortable, closed toe walking shoes, sunglasses, a hat, sunscreen and a light sweatshirt or jacket. Bring or wear long pants.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- National Park Certified Interpretive Guide
- Park access fees
- Filtered water, juices and sodas
- Breakfast snacks, coffee and tea
- Walking sticks, day packs, rain gear
- Sunscreen and bug repellent
- Delicious fresh lunch (vegan or gluten free lunch is available upon request)
- Farm fresh appetizers
- Select hotel pick-up and drop off
- Local taxes
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Entry/Admission - Hawaii Forest and Trail
Hawaii Forest & Trail Kona HQ
11 hours 30 minutes
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Hawaii Forest and Trail in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.