Head to the Mauna Kea Observatory, nestled high in the mountains of the Big Island, and experience an intriguing and provocative journey through space and time. Discover Hawaii from the top of the island's tallest peak, Mauna Kea, also known as 'White Mountain,' located 13,796 feet (4,200 meters) above sea level. Limited to 28 people, this small-group star-watching tour ensures a personalized and unique experience at the enchanting Mauna Kea summit.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hawaii Forest and Trail, 73-5593A Olowalu St, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740-2613
Travelers can shop in our retail space at our Kona headquarters as well use our bathroom facilities and enjoy complimentary coffee and water.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Mauna Kea Summit, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI
Start your Hawaiian day like never before… from the top of the tallest volcano on earth. See the morning sky light up in brilliant shades of red, orange, purple and blue
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Maunakea Visitor Information Station, 177 Makaala St 6 Miles Uphill from the Intersection of Route 200, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720
Enjoy a hot picnic style dinner before making your way to the summit
Duration: 45 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 16 years
- Due to the high altitude; this tour is not suitable for those with respiratory, heart or circulatory conditions, poor health, or pregnancy
- Scuba divers should be aware of altitude dangers
- Please advise your parka size (small, medium, large, x-large or xx-large) and choice of meal (Teriyaki Chicken, Kalbi Beef Ribs, or Vegetarian Thai Curry) at time of booking. If you do not indicate this at the time of booking, you will be required to call and advise them of this information directly.
- There is minimal walking on this tour, the maximum being about 150 yards
- We recommend that guests wear closed-toe walking shoes or hiking boots, long pants and bring a light sweatshirt or jacket
- The access road to Mauna Kea is four-wheel drive only, so it can be bumpy. The custom off-road transit vans will get you to the top and back in safety and comfort. The transit vans can carry a maximum of 14 passengers
- Snow is seasonal at Mauna Kea, with the heaviest snowfall occurring during the winter months
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- Hooded parkas and gloves
- Hot picnic dinner
- Hot cocoa and cookies
- Private star show with telescope
- Local taxes
- Select Hotel/Resort Pick-up & Drop off
- Entry/Admission - Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Entry/Admission - Mauna Kea Summit
- Entry/Admission - Maunakea Visitor Information Station
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Hawaii Forest and Trail in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.