Discover the old Basque neighborhood of San Francisco on a walking tour with a local Basque American guide. Walking along the border of Chinatown and North Beach, you would never know immigrants from the Basque Country used to live, work, and party in this section of San Francisco. You'll see the sites of the old Basque handball courts, hotels, restaurants, and more. Plus, find out which Basque hotel hosted visiting celebrities from the Basque Country and San Francisco's high society.
Uncover this forgotten history of San Francisco! Your guide will bring it to life for you with stories and historic photos.
Starting at Helen Wills Park, we walk through Nob Hill, Chinatown, North Beach, and end up at a Basque restaurant for an appetizer plate. Please specify any dietary requirements upon booking.
The route is fairly short at 1.5 miles long but does include some hills. This tour runs rain or shine.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Helen Wills Park, San Francisco, CA 94109, USA
Meet at entrance of Helen Wills Park on corner of Broadway and Larkin. See where there used to be a Basque handball court in the heart of San Francisco.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Robert Levy Broadway Tunnel, 1099-1063 Broadway, San Francisco, CA 94133-4205
Bypass the tunnel to the section of Broadway that housed the Basque hotels and restaurants. Enjoy views of the Bay Bridge and Transamerica Pyramid along the way!
Stop At: Hack Temple, 906 Broadway, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA
Admire the facade of the old Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Catholic Church.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Chinatown, Grant Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94108
Walk down Broadway, the border of modern day Chinatown, which used to have several Basque hotels, restaurants, and bars. We will visit the locations of the former Basque businesses of San Francisco.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Transamerica Pyramid, 600 Montgomery St Financial District, San Francisco, CA 94111-2702
Snap a photo of this iconic San Francisco skyscraper.
Stop At: The Basque Hotel, 15 Romolo Pl, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA
Take photos with the Basque Hotel signs.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Piperade, 1015 Battery St, San Francisco, CA 94111, USA
We will enjoy an appetizer platter of Basque American food at the only Basque-owned Basque restaurant in San Francisco.
Duration: 1 hour
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Guided by a knowledgeable, local Basque American tour leader
- Leisurely stroll with cultural and historical commentary
- Several interesting stops along the route
- Basque Hotel photo opportunities
- Snacks - Sample some Basque American food with an appetizer plate at a Basque restaurant to finish the tour
- Gratuities (appreciated, but completely at your discretion)
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Entry/Admission - Hack Temple
1965 Larkin St, San Francisco, CA 94109, USA
Piperade, 1015 Battery St, San Francisco, CA 94111, USA
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Hella Basque in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
- ALL SALES FINAL.
- Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates.
- Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment.
- Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale and Extraordinary Event Policy do not apply.
- See Viator voucher terms under "Viator Vouchers" here.