This tour is for naturalists and lovers of waterfalls. Barbara Falls is hands-down the best waterfall in the Chugach State Park. Experience incredible diversity among the vegetation in a deep, glacially carved, boreal forest. This is a great way to spend a brief moment in the wild, and have the rest of your day to spend in Anchorage! See "What to Expect" for a detailed itinerary.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Barbara Falls, Ken Logan Circle, Eagle River, Anchorage, AK 99577
This tour is for naturalists and lovers of waterfalls. Barbara Falls is hands-down the best waterfall in the Chugach State Park. Experience the incredible diversity of vegetation in a boreal rainforest. Species like giant spruces, paper birches, and aspens reign from above while alders, willows, and devil’s club dominate the understory. Fruticose, foliose, and crustose lichens can all be seen next to fungi, berries, and mosses. Everything is just waiting to be explored!
We'll start the tour at Barbara Falls, where you’ll feel the spray of glaciated water on your face. After stocking up a store of photos to make your friends jealous, we’ll cross South Fork Eagle River (keep an eye out for salmon!) and make our way to a short 1.5 miles loop. This area is great for spotting moose, small mammals, birds, and maybe even a bear! Speaking of which, all our guides are experienced in the back country and will educate you on animal safety before we set out.
Halfway through our tour we will take a short snack break complete with a delicious sun butter & jelly sandwich and drinks. After that, we will head back toward the trailhead to finish the tour. We will have you back to the city in plenty of time to visit our great local restaurants, or maybe even take a museum or brewery tour!
None, but you should be able to walk at least 3 miles on flat pavement, or 2 miles of uneven rolling terrain over the course of 2 hours. Some parts of trail are steep and hilly, placing additional stress on areas of the body not impacted by level terrain. Not recommended for those with severe cardiac or respiratory issues/illness. May be difficult for those with severe joint issues. If you have any dietary restrictions, please let us know and we will accommodate you with a different snack option.
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Participation waiver signature required prior to departure.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Day Packs, Trekking Poles, Micro-spikes or Snowshoes
- Bottled water - Reusable bottles filled with water
- Coffee and/or Tea - Yerba Mate, and caffeinated/non-caffeinated options with thermos
- Snacks - Sun Butter & Jelly Sandwich
- No hotel, B&B, Air B&B, or other accommodation pickups. Must meet at designated meeting location.
737 W 5th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501, USA
2 hours 30 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Hike Alaska in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.