If you've never been on a hike during the winter, you need to give it a shot. Winter hiking is a blast, and it's great for the mind and body during long periods of dark & cold. This tour holds plenty of opportunity for photos, and a comprehensive variety of the natural elements found in the boreal forests of Alaska. Sound like your style?
• Hike along Chugach State Park's Eagle River and see ice-covered Barbara Falls!
• Perfect for solo travelers and couples.
• Enjoy breathtaking views of towering vistas. Amazing landscapes await your camera!
• Learn about Alaska's glaciated valleys and boreal forests from an experienced gude.
• Opportunity for wildlife sightings, including moose, hare, voles, and porcupine!
• Provisions include a prepacked snack, courtesy of Kat’s Epic Trail Bites, and your choice of either reindeer sausage or a cheese-stick. We'll provide micro-spikes for icy terrain.
Join us on a classic Alaskan adventure today!
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Chugach State Park, 18620 Seward Hwy, Anchorage, AK 99516, USA
We will begin by visiting the Chugach State Park's best waterfall, Barbara Falls. What a sight to behold! Afterwards, we will head to the confluence of North and South Fork Eagle River where a clearing in the woods exposes the Chugach mountains for miles. This is a perfect location to take amazing photos.
Onward we will go through snow covered spruces while keeping an eye out for wildlife. If Eagle River is frozen, we will have the opportunity of hiking on top of it, which is really a treat! We may see the "American Dipper" swimming in an unfrozen tributary warmed by geothermal heat. They swim in water when the air temperature is below freezing to keep warm. We may also see moose, small mammals like the snowshoe hare or red fox, and rodents such as the porcupine or voles. At a distance approximately 6 miles in length, and a non-strenuous grade, most people can feel comfortable participating.
Transportation included in total time of tour:
(1 hour transportation & 4 hours hiking)
Duration: 4 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Experience Suggestions: No experienced required, but you should be able to walk at least 7 miles on flat pavement, or 5 miles of uneven rolling terrain over the course of roughly 4 hours. Some parts of the trail are steep and hilly, placing additional stress on areas of the body not impacted by level terrain. Not recommended for those with cardiac or respiratory issues/illness. May be difficult for those with severe joint issues.
- Participation waiver signature required prior to departure.
- If you have any dietary restrictions, please let us know and we will accommodate you with a different snack option.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Day Packs, Trekking Poles, and Microspikes
- Snacks - High-calorie trail bites and reindeer sausage or cheese-stick.
- No hotel, B&B, Air B&B, or other accommodation pickups.
- Must meet at designated meeting location or provide own transportation to trailhead.
William A. Egan Civic & Convention Center, 555 W 5th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501, USA
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Go Hike Alaska in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
- ALL SALES FINAL.
- Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates.
- Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment.
- Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale and Extraordinary Event Policy do not apply.
- See Viator voucher terms under "Viator Vouchers" here.