Paddle & Hike in Caines Head!
8 hour Paddle & Hike
This fantastic World War II defensive structure is located at the top of Caines Head, as part of the Caines Head State Park Recreation area. We paddle out and land at the original Fort McGilvray dock. From there, we begin our Alaskan hike, complete with an exhilarating 650′ of elevation gain in two miles. Atop you find a gorgeous view of the Gulf of Alaska, Harding Gateway, and the Barrier Islands of Resurrection Bay! Bring a headlamp or flashlight to explore Fort McGilvray and have a snack at the gunning embedment before heading back down the trail for a fun kayaking adventure to Millers Landing.
About This Deal
• 7:45 a.m. check in to office for parking pass and to sign necessary forms
• 8 a.m. meet guide, get outfitted for paddle
• 8:15 a.m. warm up exercises, safety briefing
• 8:25 a.m. depart for paddle
• Paddle to Caines Head (5 miles) and hike (2 miles each way 4 miles round trip) to Fort McGilvray
• Depart for Miller’s Landing in kayaks (5 miles)
Be prepared to be physically active for the entirety of this Seward kayaking and hiking trip. If you’re not comfortable hiking and paddling all day we have easier trips that we can set you up with!
• Get a panoramic view of the Gulf of Alaska from the top of Caines Head!
• Watch for whales, eagles, sea lions, sea otters, mountain goats, black bears, and Dalls porpoise!
• Paddle past driftwood ghost forests from the 1964 Alaskan earthquake
• No experience needed, all gear, and instruction provided.
Bring your hiking boots! From surf to turf, we begin our two-mile hike to the top of Caines Head to view the historical WWII remains of Fort McGilvray.
We retrace our steps and paddle back to Miller’s Landing, watching for wildlife all along the way.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult, 12 years minimum age to participate
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair - a 4 mile Hike is involved
- Due to comfort and weight / balance / cockpit size of the Kayak, participants must be under 250lb and able to fit within a 33″ x 17.25″ / 83.8 x 43.8 cm cockpit opening.
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- Professional guide
- Local taxes
- Landing and facility fees
- Tour escort/host
- Kayak & Associated Gear: Paddle, Spray Skirt, Life Jacket, Pump, Paddle Float
- Rain Gear
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
13880 Beach Dr, Seward, AK 99664, USA
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Millers Landing Inc. in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
Need To Know
- ALL SALES FINAL.
- Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates.
- Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment.
- Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale and Extraordinary Event Policy do not apply.
- See Viator voucher terms under "Viator Vouchers" here.