Discover the history of New Orleans through its architecture! On this two hour tour you will learn about the oldest African-American neighborhood in the United States, formed in the early 1800s. This residential neighborhood was formed by Free People of Color, Haitian Refugees and other various immigrant groups. We will discover the early beginnings of this area, known as “back of town”, as we discuss residential architecture, places of worship, and social and pleasure clubs. Famous for its role in music history, Congo Square/Armstrong Park is included in this tour.
What You'll Get
Departing from the meetup point, you'll be given a brief introduction to New Orleans history, and then led into the neighborhood. On this tour you'll learn the difference between Creole Cottages, Townhouses, and Shotgun Houses. Then you'll learn about St. Augustine Church, the oldest African-American Catholic Parish in the United States. In Armstrong Park, you'll learn all about music history in New Orleans stretching back as far as the colonial era through Jazz Music of the early 1900s. Also featured on this tour are some filming locations for HBO's Treme. The tour lasts two hours and you'll walk about a mile.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Licensed, Insured, Local Guide - with extensive knowledge of the area.
- Transportation to/from attractions
Located outside the French Quarter.
Meetup spot is right next to a great coffee shop, so be sure to show up a few minutes early for a snack.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the New Orleans Architecture Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.