This is a 60-90 minute walking tour of the Saint Louis Cemetery #1. Established in 1789, just outside of the French Quarter, the city's oldest cemetery has more than 50,000 residents in this 'city of the dead'. You will be guided through the labyrinth of above ground tombs that are more than two centuries old by an experienced and licensed tour guide. The tour will meet at Armstrong Park and walk through historic Congo Square on the way to the cemetery.
Visit the tombs of
* Homer Plessy, Civil Rights leader
* Marie Laveau, Queen of Voodoo
* Tomb featured in the movie, Easy Rider
* Future, final resting place of actor Nicholas Cage
* Code Noir
* Yellow Fever
* Jazz Funeral
ONLY 15 GUESTS PER TOUR GROUP!
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Louis Armstrong Park, 901 N Rampart St, New Orleans, LA 70116-3086
Your tour will begin under the shade of the oak trees. Here, your guide will explain the local geography and problems the creoles experienced with early burials.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Congo Square, 701 N Rampart St Entrance at the Corner of N. Rampart and Saint Peter Streets, New Orleans, LA 70116-3085
At Congo Square, your guide will briefly describe the weekly gathering of slaves and the tribal dances. You will also be introduced to Voodoo and begin learning about the famous voodoo queen Marie Laveau.
Before we leave Congo Square, you will also learn about our Jazz Funeral and Second Line traditions.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, 425 Basin St 3421 Esplanade Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112-3535
Once inside the cemetery, you will lean about tomb architecture and the process for burials. Your guide will introduce you to the final resting places of Marie Laveau, the infamous voodoo queen and many other notables.
Duration: 45 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- -::- SUMMER HEAT ADVISORY -::- Temperatures in the cemetery during the summer may be extremely brutal for many travellers not accostumed to heat and humidity. Expect afternoon temperatures to feel like 100 degrees. The only shade in the cemetery is what you bring with you.
- We strongly recommend choosing one of our morning tours if you are affected by the direct sunlight or heat.
- Saint Louis Cemetery is owned and managed by the New Orleans Catholic Archdiocese.The operating hours of the cemetery are 9:15 to 3:15. Closed on Mardi Gras Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
- The Archdiocese will not allow into the cemetery Alcohol, Drugs, The use of Tobacco products or pets. Service animals are allowed.
- There is NOT a restroom available where the tour meets, but there is one available at the end of the tour.
- We recommend the wearing of comfortable shoes, wearing of hats and the use of umbrellas for rain and shade.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Professional guide
- Cemetery Admittance
- Entry/Admission - St. Louis Cemetery No. 1
1 hour 30 minutes
Basin Street, Basin St, New Orleans, LA, USA
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Storyville Tour Company, LLC in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.