Travel to Mount Saint Helens and environs, from Portland, on this ALL-INCLUSIVE tour with a naturalist guide who will discuss the geology, ecology, climate, history, and legends of the area, as well as the history of US public lands. Your guide will lead you on hikes near waterfalls, through lava tubes, and within oldgrowth forests.
You will see some of the most unique geological features in North America, including North America's longest continuous lava tube and a lava tree mold forest. Weather permitting, you will be driven to the closest viewpoint into the crater of the volcano, where you will be provided a picnic lunch, overlooking Spirit Lake. No matter how hot the weather, you'll enjoy natural air conditioning as you hike by dramatic waterfalls and through primeval forest. You'll have the option of a dinner/beer stop (own expense) on the way back to Portland. *THIS IS A 12-HOUR TOUR*
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mount St. Helens, WA 98649
Travel to Mt. St. Helens and environs with a naturalist guide who will discuss the geology, ecology, climate, history, and legends of the area, as well as the history of US public lands. Your guide will lead you on hikes near waterfalls, through lava tubes, and within oldgrowth forests. Stops both inside and outside of Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument.
Duration: 7 hours
Stop At: Ape Cave Lava Tubes, Cougar, WA, United States, Longview, WA
Traverse North America's longest continuous lava tube! No matter how hot it is outside, the temperature in the cave is a constant 42F (5.5C), so bring layers. Also, be sure to bring shoes that are suitable for scrambling, and wipe those shoes before entering the bats' home so that they don't get white-nose syndrome!
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: WIndy Ridge Viewpoint, Forest Service Rd. 99, Amboy, WA
Weather permitting, we'll take you to the closest viewpoint with a view into the crater that is accessible by vehicle. There you'll have a picnic lunch, and have the opportunity to burn off your lunch by ascending the 357 stairs to a 365-degree view overlooking Spirit Lake, with the mountain looming. If conditions are clear enough, you'll see four stratovolcanoes: St. Helens, Rainier, Adams, and Hood.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Johnston Ridge Observatory, 21500 Spirit Lake Highway, Toutle, WA 98649
Pass By: Trail of Two Forests Trail, 42218 NE Yale Bridge Rd Gifford Pinchot National Forest, Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument, Amboy, WA 98601-4601
Pass By: Mount St. Helens Visitor Center, Hwy. 504, milepost 5, Castle Rock, WA 98611
Pass By: Lava Canyon, South Cascades, Stevenson, WA
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- This tour operates in all weather conditions, and the cave is 42F (5.5C). Please dress in layers.
- We recommend shoes that are suitable for minor rock climbing (i.e. scrambling/bouldering).
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Wear long pants, as there will be opportunities for crawling.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- We are keeping the vehicles sanitized as per WHO & CDC recommendations. For non-private tours, vehicles are being filled to half capacity to maintain physical distance. As per proclamation by the Governor of the State of Oregon, guides and guests are required to wear masks, with certain exceptions.
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- PA system to hear guide while driving
- Bottled water
- If weather does not allow mountain visibility, a modified itinerary will take you to bonus stops.
- Professional naturalist guide
- Hotel pickup/drop-off in Portland area
- Entry/Admission - Mount St. Helens
- Entry/Admission - Ape Cave Lava Tubes
- Entry/Admission - WIndy Ridge Viewpoint
- Hotel pickup/drop-off in Seattle area
4841 SE 30th Ave, Portland, OR 97202, USA
Traveler pickup is offered
We'll contact you the evening before to set a time and location.
- Portland Intl Airport, 7000 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218
- Port of Vancouver USA, 3103 NW Lower River Rd, Vancouver, WA 98660, USA
- Port of Portland, 7200 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218, USA
- Terminal 6, 7201 N Marine Dr, Portland, OR 97203, USA
- Terminal 4, 11040 N Lombard St, Portland, OR 97203, USA
- Port of Kalama Marine Park, Kalama, WA 98625, USA
11 to 12 hours
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Terran Travels in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
- ALL SALES FINAL.
- Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates.
- Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment.
- Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale and Extraordinary Event Policy do not apply.
- See Viator voucher terms under "Viator Vouchers" here.