Travel to Mt. St. Helens and environs, from Portland, with a naturalist guide who will discuss the geology, ecology, climate, history, and legends of the area, as well as the history of US public lands. Your guide will lead you on hikes near waterfalls, through lava tubes, and within oldgrowth forests.
You will see some of the most unique geological features in North America, including North America's longest continuous lava tube and a lava tree mold forest. Weather permitting, you will be driven to the closest viewpoint into the crater of the volcano, where you will be provided a picnic lunch, overlooking Spirit Lake. No matter how hot the weather, you'll enjoy natural air conditioning as you hike by dramatic waterfalls and through primeval forest. You'll have the option of a dinner/beer stop (own expense) on the way back to Portland.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mount St. Helens, WA 98649
Travel to Mt. St. Helens and environs with a naturalist guide who will discuss the geology, ecology, climate, history, and legends of the area, as well as the history of US public lands. Your guide will lead you on hikes near waterfalls, through lava tubes, and within oldgrowth forests. Stops both inside and outside of Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument.
Duration: 7 hours
Stop At: Ape Cave Lava Tubes, Cougar, WA, United States, Longview, WA
Traverse North America's longest continuous lava tube! No matter how hot it is outside, the temperature in the cave is a constant 42F (5.5C), so bring layers. Also, be sure to bring shoes that are suitable for scrambling, and wipe those shoes before entering the bats' home so that they don't get white-nose syndrome!
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: WIndy Ridge Viewpoint, Forest Service Rd. 99, Amboy, WA
Weather permitting, we'll take you to the closest viewpoint with a view into the crater that is accessible by vehicle. There you'll have a picnic lunch, and have the opportunity to burn off your lunch by ascending the 357 stairs to a 365-degree view overlooking Spirit Lake, with the mountain looming. If conditions are clear enough, you'll see four stratovolcanoes: St. Helens, Rainier, Adams, and Hood.
Duration: 1 hour
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- This tour operates in all weather conditions, and the cave is 42F (5.5C). Please dress in layers.
- We recommend shoes that are suitable for minor rock climbing (i.e. scrambling/bouldering).
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Wear long pants, as there will be opportunities for crawling.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- PA system to hear guide while driving
- Bottled water
- If weather does not allow mountain visibility, a modified itinerary will take you to bonus stops.
- Professional naturalist guide
- Hotel pickup/drop-off in Portland area
- Entry/Admission - Mount St. Helens
- Entry/Admission - Ape Cave Lava Tubes
- Entry/Admission - WIndy Ridge Viewpoint
- Gratuities (Always appreciated!)
- Hotel pickup/drop-off in Seattle area
Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up at most Portland locations. We'll contact you the evening before to set a time and location.
11 to 12 hours
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Terran Travels in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.