Take a Master Naturalist led Eco Tour from New Orleans to quaint coastal communities with a fresh, insider's perspective on the environment, wildlife, cultures and economy of the Mississippi River Delta. Experience “living history” as you travel through the original European colonial city of “La Nouvelle Orleans” along the banks of the largest river system on the continent. Immerse yourself in the majestic beauty of the most expansive wetlands in the lower 48 states. Watch wading birds stalked by alligators in their natural habitat. Visit the James Beard award-winning Dong Phuong Bakery for a local culinary treat. Explore the fishing villages of Ycloskey and Shell Beach where America’s seafood has been harvested for centuries by “Canary Islanders”. View new, formidable flood, wetlands and water management innovations since Hurricane Katrina. Enjoy a comfortable, climate-controlled coach with friendly, engaging and informative guides.
What You'll Get
• Don’t forget your hat, camera and sunscreen for this memorable adventure tour!
• Meet us at the Sheraton New Orleans, 500 Canal Street for 8:45 am. We will depart at 9am and return to the hotel for 2pm
• Travel the ancient Indian portage from the French Quarter along the Esplanade Ridge to historic Bayou St. John that provided an important trade route to the Gulf of Mexico and backdoor to New Orleans
• Visit City Park, a crown jewel of the South celebrating nature, recreation, art and music and heart of the city’s innovations in reslience and water management
• Stop at the London Avenue Canal and learn about the devastating impact of levee flood wall breaches during Hurricane Katrina and see the enhanced flood protection systems now in place
• View that immense Lake Pontchartrain, created by Mississippi River sediment, with the largest bridge over water in the world and an immensely productive estuary of shellfish, finfish, wildlife and plant life.
• Travel to Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge to experience freshwater marsh and wildlife at the Marsh Overlook. Enjoy a picnic lunch r from the James Beard award-winning Dong Phuong Bakery located in “Little Saigon”
• Go beyond the hurricane protection system to experience the quaint fishing villages of Ycloskey and Shell Beach, the Oyster Capital of the world. Visit with local fisherman to learn of their way
• Travel through an authentic “Islenos Village” that celebrates the Canary Islanders who were recruited to the area, the last vestige of Spanish colonialism in America.
• Stop at the Caernarvon Canal to see first-hand a coastal restoration project and local wildlife; learn of the historic and devastating river breaches that had a profound impact on the area
• Enjoy a ride back to New Orleans with views of the beautiful Docville Farm, the site of the Battle of New Orleans, the largest sugar refinery in the western hemisphere and Fat’s Domino’s home and recording studio.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Dress code is smart casual
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 13 travelers
- Bottled water
- Live commentary on board
- Private tour
- TripAdvisor Experiences brokerage fee
- Lunch (At your cost)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Curbside at the Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, centrally located between the French Quarter and the downtown central business district
Departure time is 9:00 am every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from the curbside of the Sheraton New Orleans, 500 Canal Street. Arrival time is recommended for 8:45am
Tour returns to the Sheraton New Orleans, 500 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the The Great Delta Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.