Enjoy a private and authentic cooking class in a local State College home with your host Shawn. This is a perfect experience for anyone looking to connect with local culture over food. On Saturdays during football season, pack up the food you've cooked and head to a tailgating party with Shawn and his friends at the football stadium. Shawn’s passion is to serve people food. Shawn’s love for food began as a child eating different cuisines as he grew up in a multicultural family. He has worked in the food industry for many years. It brings him joy to see people happy when they eat. Shawn now lives with five children and a loving wife that love when he cooks. Shawn went to school in State College which prides itself on being one of the best football towns in the country. American football is a big part of the culture of State College, home to Penn State University. Shawn is eager to share the food and culture of tailgating during this fun and unique food experience.
About This Deal
Meet your host Shawn at his home and get to know each other over a mimosa or beer and a snack before heading to Shawn’s kitchen for your American cooking class. Learn to cook a typical tailgating menu that includes dishes such as brisket or ribs, buffalo wings, coleslaw, and potato salad. You will learn the techniques involved in making buffalo sauce, marinades, spice rubs as well as trimming a brisket and getting the balance right on dressing for a slaw so that you can replicate them back home. Your hands-on cooking lesson will last about 2 hours. After cooking, pack up and head to the Penn State stadium to join the tailgating party. Tailgating, a stadium party that Americans throw before an American football game is a big part of American culture. Set up at the stadium the food you helped prepare and enjoy eating, drinking and playing games during this tailgating experience.
Football games are held on Saturdays between Aug – Nov.
If you have booked on a day that there are no football games, you will learn to cook a similar menu but instead of eating it at the stadium, you will share your lunch in Shawn’s backyard, weather permitting or at the dining table with his family.
• Bloody Mary or Mimosa
• Buffalo chicken wings
• Barbecued ribs or brisket
• Side of coleslaw
• Side of potato or pasta salad
• Frozen pistachio pudding
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Private cooking class with your host Shawn
- Alcoholic Beverages - Cocktail and beer
- This experience does not include a ticket to the football game.
State College, PA, USA
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Traveling Spoon, Inc in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
- ALL SALES FINAL.
- Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates.
- Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment.
- Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale and Extraordinary Event Policy do not apply.
- See Viator voucher terms under "Viator Vouchers" here.