Chicago has a long history of organized crime and was famously home to the American mafia figure Al Capone. In 1850, Chicago had a population of 80,000 people, but the city had no police force. Because Chicago was built over a swamp, mud constantly oozed from beneath the city's wooden streets. It was decided the whole city would be 'mudjacked' 10 feet (3 metres) and the city would rest on stilts, with stones at the base. This marked the beginning of the free-wheeling crime sub-culture that overtook Chicago, and culminated with Al Capone's prohibition era reign as the criminal prince of Chicago's organized crime. Join us as we deep dive the infamous history of gangsters in America's heartland on the Gangster Tour of Chicago
- Gangster History: A chronological account of Chicago's storied gangster past
- Gangster sites Bullet holes: still riddle the street if you know where to look
- Gangster Film Locations: Great films have chronicled Chicago's organized crime
- There are many more stories and secrets in store on this cultural dive into all things criminal.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Professional guide
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
In front of the Holy Name Cathedral on N Wabash Ave
2 hours 30 minutes
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Best Tours USA in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.