All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Commonly portrayed as cuddly tri-pronged creatures, sea monkeys are, in reality, uncouth bottom feeders that are fiscally incapable of castle ownership. Uncover more subversively submerged knowledge with today's deal, which gets you half off a membership to the Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center in Virginia Beach. Choose one of the following membership levels:
- $37 for an one-year Otter-level membership for two people (adult cardholder member plus one guest, a $75 value)
- $50 for a one-year Crab-level membership for four people (adult cardholder member plus three guests, a $100 value)
Apart from the number of respective members and guests, the benefits of the Otter and Crab memberships are exactly the same. Both grant you a year of unlimited admission—including express entry through the mythical members' entrance—and, if you travel in an especially large school, both grant up to four additional guests half-off entry when accompanied by a cardholding member (per day). Although prices vary, today's deal offers you a year's access to the aquarium at a cost comparable to a single day's admission for the same number of people.
Once inside the aquatic wonderland, you and your curious explorers will enjoy more than 800,000 gallons chock-full of diverse sea life including otters, Komodo dragons, sturgeons, and everyone's favorite decapod crustaceans of the superfamily Paguroidea, hermit crabs. Take a moment to reflect on Virginia's environmental past and present at the Restless Planet exhibit or treat the youngsters to a diplomatic exchange with the wetter half at the Chesapeake Bay Touch Pool, where the only thing wetter than your children's hands will be their appetite for knowledge.
In addition to hosting dynamic creatures, the Virginia Aquarium provides members with glimpses into the museum's progress with a bi-monthly newsletter, as well as discounts on lectures, educational programs, and educational IMAX screenings. To further support our underwater neighbors, your membership also supports conservation-education programs at the museum, and, because Internet-based deals would have never existed if not for the natural world, 10% of your Groupon purchase will be donated to the Audubon Nature Institute's Sea Turtle and Marine Mammal Rescue Fund, now working to minimize the impact of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill on stranded and injured animals.
This Groupon is for new memberships only and may not be used for renewals.
The Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center is a Frommer's Exceptional Destination, and hooks a great review from TripAtlas.com. Kudzu reviewers give it a splashing average of five stars, and Yelpers and TripAdvisors give 3.5-star averages:
- Plan to spend at least half of your time in the main building, where touch tanks will fascinate you and the kids (bet you don't know a horseshoe crab's mouth feels like a toothbrush). Rays willingly swim over in one tank to have their leathery hides petted. Kids will love playing with the switches and dials in a dark room designed like a submarine, complete with sonar "pings." – Frommer's
- A dream spot for animal lovers and marine-biologist wannabe's. – email@example.com, TripAtlas.com
- Children will love walking around seeing all the different fish. The shark tank is always very exciting. Great place to go on a rainy or really hot day. – subwife98, Kudzu
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Dec 31, 2010. Amount paid never expires. Must activate membership by expiration date. Membership valid for 1 year starting date of redemption. Limit 1 per family, may buy multiple as gifts. New members only. Only valid for purchased membership. Not valid with other offers. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.