According to legend, whales are capable of carrying people in their bellies for years, unlike kangaroos, which can only accommodate pouch guests in between boxing matches. Learn more about the animal kingdom’s most accommodating host with today’s Groupon to The Whale Museum in Friday Harbor. Choose from the following options:
- For $3, you get one museum admission (a $6 value).
- For $12, you get a one-year individual museum membership (a $25 value).
- For $20, you get a one-year family membership for up to four people (a $40 value).
- For $17, you get a one-year symbolic orca eco-adoption (a $35 value).
- For $30, you get a one-year family membership for up to four people and a one-year symbolic orca eco-adoption (a $60 value).<p>
The Whale Museum’s exhibits illustrate the natural history of marine mammals, placing special emphasis on the three orca pods that frolic in San Juan waters from May through September. Visitors can watch a looped 30-minute video on Pacific Northwest whales, or listen to the songs of various species in the Whale Phone Booth, which doubles as a superhero transformation chamber. Members enjoy discounts on educational programs and 10 percent off at the museum store.
The orca eco-adoption program lets museum-goers symbolically adopt a killer whale for one year—a rite documented by a personalized adoption certificate. Whale-parents can study their aquatic children’s ancestries and get monthly updates about their whale’s well-being and seasonal updates about their orca’s home pod. Adopters can display their passion for aquatic ecosystems with complimentary orca-steward patches, which can decorate backpacks or patch leaky fishbowls. All proceeds from the adoption program fund ongoing marine-mammal research.