Before the invention of sewing, people mended torn clothing with chewed bubble gum, staples, and discolored elbow patches made from saber-tooth hide. Embrace new garment technology with today's Groupon to Whipstitch on Marietta Street. Choose from the following options:
- For $30, you get an Intro to Modern Patchwork and Quilting class (a $65 value).
- For $112, you get a six-class series of either Tween and Teen Sewing classes or Sewing for Kids classes (a $225 value).
- For $20, you get $40 worth of store merchandise.
Whipstitch gathers cloth and community, stitches them together, and creates a welcoming gathering ground for seamstresses and seamsters alike. Make sure your progeny are proficient in needle art with the Tween and Teen Sewing classes for children ages 11–16 or the Sewing for Kids classes for hemmers ages 6–10. Sessions run 90 minutes and teach young crafters the basics of machine sewing, hand sewing, and embellishment techniques as they needle-whittle their own hat, apron, or water-pistol holster. Generally, each class contains seven youngsters so instructors can tailor their techniques to all experience levels. The Intro to Modern Patchwork and Quilting class caters to more adept stitchers, who will create a mini quilt top and gain the skills necessary to finish its transformation into a chessboard for all 32 neighborhood squirrels. Class takers are asked to bring basic tools and materials, including fabric, and stitch novitiates should bring their own sewing machine or rent one for an additional charge.
Whipstitch offers an ample array of fabric options (starting at $4.25/yard), including cottons, denim, linen, and Japanese imports. Because friends don't let friends shop for fabric alone, grab a gaggle of pals and sift through the expansive range of notions, trims, patterns, and ribbons, finding everything necessary to create cloth body doubles to fight the evil robot versions of you.
- Moebes prides herself on sourcing rare picks from NYC to Japan to keep stylish crafters coming back for more. – DailyCandy
- Whether you're a professional like me or someone who's never sewn a stitch in your life, you will find LOTS of inspiration here! You will be excited to get sewing once you step into Whipstitch! – brooke h., Yelp, 06/09/2010