Jump to: How to Properly Taste Wine
Understanding wine at a fundamental level requires a look at its fundaments through highly trained wine spectacles; don them with today's Groupon: $30 for a Wine 101 Class at WineMall. These small, 10- to 15-person sessions pour wine wisdom into the minds and bellies of fermented-grape novices.
Red or white? Boxed or bottled? A glass with dinner or 2.5 bottles during the MAS*H marathon? You'll learn what wines to drink when and the basics of tasting and deciphering the intricate notes of various wines. Led by a trained wine professional, the sessions offer the perfect pairing of knowledge and expertise without fermenting your brain. You’ll learn about the six major types of grapes, how to properly taste wine, and basic pairing tips. You’ll also learn basic sommelier tips and tricks. Plus, WineMall's friendly, experienced instructor will answer any and all of your deepest wine wonderings in a Q&A session.
During the class, you’ll get to sample six different wines (the featured wines will be available at a discount when the session ends.) You also receive take-home materials and a handy tasting notebook to help you track hues, aromas, dryness, and finish as you sip and swirl toward connoisseur status.
Classes are offered the second and fourth Tuesday of every month from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Get a group of friends together for a night of well-informed wining. As the night draws to a close, previously cryptic wine menus are suddenly decipherable, pinots no longer taste like merlots, and you realize 'Venison Gun Cabaret' was an anagram for cabernet sauvignon all along.
How to Properly Taste Wine
For total wine enjoyment, the wine drinker must engage in a multi-step process designed to enhance the flavor, the body, and the unique characteristics with each sip:
- Give the wine in your glass one of three names: Gary, Darryl, or Garryl.
- Bring the wine glass to your right eye and stare deeply into it for at least 30 minutes until you can no longer tell where the wine ends and you begin.
- Starting with your left pinky and moving right, fully submerge each of your fingers into the wine glass until all fingers are in the glass.
- Take a sip and slosh it around. When someone gives you some surprising news, spit it out.
- Put all of the wine from your glass into your mouth, but don't swallow. When all the wine is in there, open your mouth and say, "Keys. Once angry keeping flagrant." Enjoy the wine that is left in your mouth.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
Town N County Alliance
11246 W Hillsborough Ave
Tampa, Florida 33635Get Directions