All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Jump to: Reviews | Pizzanagrams
Some people think about pizza as toppings on bread. Those people lack vision and eyebrows. With today's Groupon, $20 gets you $50 worth of authentic, thin-crust creations, fired in the blistering-hot oven at Wood Fired Pizza and Wine Bar. Peter Taylor, founder, pie-maker, and pizza-visionary, has made crafting artisanal wood-fired pizza his life-long passion. His latest pizza breakthrough is a naturally leavened healthy pizza that's lighter, more digestible, and not used in Olympic competition.
The Wood Fired menu boasts an array of original pies that combine the New York pie with traditional pizza elements. The Pizza Sophia is topped in San Marzano tomatoes, grana padano cheese, pecorino romano, organic herbs, and sea salt ($12). The Pizza Raquel sports similar toppings, with the addition of homemade mozzarella ($12). For an unusual slice, try the Biano with red onion, mozzarella, and pistachios ($16) or the Tampa Verde with ricotta, parmesan, and baby arugula ($17). An assortment of starters, like caprese salad ($9) and hummus ($8), will whet your appetite. Tasty desserts, like the unholy Brundlefly that is the chocolate dessert pizza ($10), round out the meal. Check the Wood Fired beer or wine list for the perfect libation to accompany your slice of heaven made out of angel-dough and halo-sauce.
Wood Fired maintains a friendly neighborhood vibe with a simple, homey dining room, and an intimate reservation policy. Though it doesn't accept table reservations, Wood Fired recommends calling ahead to reserve your dough ball. Since a limited amount of dough is prepared fresh each day, it's best to assure there's enough dough to go around for your party (one dough ball per pizza).
Creative Loafing named Wood Fired Best Artisan Pizza and applauds the care Taylor takes in crafting his pies:
- It takes an obsessive to impress and obsessive. Peter Taylor’s pies may be the culmination of two decades of research and development, but it’s the love he puts into crafting each one that shines through. He cultivates his own yeast, makes his own mozzarella, grows his own herbs and won’t trust anyone else to man the wood-fired oven that gives the joint its name. – Brian Ries, The Daily Loaf
Metromix raves about the magnificently crafted pies at Wood Fired:
- If you love pizza, then you should worship (and eat) it at Peter’s casual temple...When Taylor slides a pie from the glowing oven, the toppings steam and the crust smokes from the intense heat. The crust is thin, with a good chew and slight crispness. Before you reflexively order double cheese or meat, try one of Taylor’s proportionately dressed pies. – Andy Huse, Metromix
When you select your topping combos, take caution that you're not accidentally sending hidden messages via an unexpected anagram. Here are a few to look out for, but log your own pizza-related anagrams on the Groupon Discussion Board. So far we've discovered:
- Peppers and Onions: Panned Oppression
- Bacon and Pineapple: Poppa Need Cannibal
- Extra Olives: Versatile Ox
- Anchovies and Corn: Connivance Hoards
- Spackle and Army Men: Darkman Clasp Enemy
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Apr 10, 2010. Amount paid never expires. 1 per person, 1 per table. May buy multiple as gifts. Tax & gratuity not included. No cash or credit back. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.