What You'll Get
Choose from Four Options
- $75 for one custom shirt made of 100% cotton ($150 value)
- $219 for three custom shirts made of 100% cotton ($450 value)
- $350 for one custom suit made of 100% wool ($795 value)
- $150 for $300 worth of custom tailoring
Three Things to Know About Pinstripes
For business attire that goes beyond basic black or blue, pinstripes are a natural choice. Trace their evolution with Groupon’s investigation of the pattern’s history.
1. Pinstripes originated in Britain. But that’s pretty much all we know about the origins of the pattern, a series of woven pinhead-size dots that turn into fine lines when viewed from a distance. Some say pinstripes first became popular with bankers—there’s even a rumor that the width of the stripes signified important distinctions among London firm employees—while others believe the style blossomed in the world of men’s sportswear, where the fashions were more creative. In the 1920s, the pinstripe’s significance briefly shifted: perhaps in a bid for the respectability associated with the mainstream business world, gangsters such as Al Capone became prominent adopters of the style.
2. Despite the rumors, the New York Yankees didn’t switch their uniform fabric to pinstripes to hide Babe Ruth’s larger figure. The evidence doesn’t add up. When Ruth joined the Yankees in 1920, he actually was still in top shape. Not only that, but the Yankees actually switched to pinstripes back in 1912, when Ruth was still in his teens—perhaps inspired by the Chicago Cubs, the first baseball team to introduce stripes to the diamond in 1907.
3. Modern pinstripes are more sleek, less flashy. Despite the common image of pinstripe suits through much of the 20th century—including a 1980s trend for oversized power suits—they’re no longer double-breasted, long in the jacket, or baggy at the ankles. Today’s version is slimly tailored and given narrow lapels like many modern suits, and often is paired with patterned shirts in contrasting patterns such as gingham or plaid.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires 180 days after purchase. Amount paid never expires. Appointment required. Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as gift. Must use promotional value in 1 visit. Valid only for option purchased. All goods or services must be used by the same person. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.