A philosopher once called theatre “the mask of convention over the face of society in the mirror of the unknown reflecting the rear-view of the sports car of destiny.” Simplify this theory with today’s theatrical Groupon: for $28, you get one ticket to see RENT (up to a $56 value, prices vary by date and seat) at ZACH Theatre. Choose from the following performances:
- Thursday, September 16, at 8 p.m.
- Friday, September 17, at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, September 19, at 2:30 p.m.
- Thursday, September 23, at 8 p.m.
- Friday, September 24, at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, September 26, at 2:30 p.m.
- Thursday, November 4, at 8 p.m.
- Friday, November 5, at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, November 7, at 2:30 p.m.
RENT is a Tony Award–winning Broadway musical that documents the bohemian lives of struggling New York artists, musicians, and hipsters who rebelliously throw pies in the metaphorical face of conventional life. Audiences will be delighted by inspiring songs performed by Austin's finest rock vocalists and musicians, such as the two-part La Vie Boheme, which celebrates the insurgent bohemianism that allowed Alphabet City to win its independence from Manhattan in 1983. The show is scheduled to appear on ZACH Theatre’s Kleberg Stage, located on West Riverside Drive at South Lamar Boulevard.
Featuring two intimate, state-of-the-art stages, ZACH Theatre hosts imaginative performances created by playwrights both local and internationally acclaimed. Cutting-edge acoustics, high-quality light and sound systems, and ample seating unblemished by used gum chews all work together to create a rewarding theatre experience. Call ahead and reserve a seat to enjoy RENT.
Though no reviews are in for RENT, Spike Speaks had this to say about the ZACH Theatre’s last production, Metamorphoses:
- First, if you're wondering, 'Should I See It?' Oh yes! It's a wonderful show and I'm telling you, ZACH is on a super duper roll this year.
The Austin Chronicle named the ZACH Theatre the Best Performing Arts Space in Austin in 2007 and 2006. The theatre has been on the Chronicle’s best list in countless other categories since 1993. Yelpers give it an average of four stars:
- Somehow, Zach manages to bring in the right combination of interesting and edgy as well as fun classics to make for a well-balanced theater experience. – Jim R., Yelp