What You'll Get
Jump to: Reviews | Cars vs. Ponies
For $35, today's Groupon gets you a one-year Zipcar membership and a $50 driving credit ($125 value). Zipcar is the largest car-sharing company in the world, according to The Economist, since they provide rides for nearly half of all car-sharers worldwide. Urbanites who ordinarily hoof it, use public transit, or ride on the backs of men bred for transportation purposes can't resist the convenience of wheels-at-will without the hassles of car ownership.
Drive a truck for heavy hauling, a hybrid for whale-saving, an SUV for a family outing, or a coupe for couping; there are tons of models you can choose to drive. View vehicle availability online, and then reserve the car; there are more than 200 Zipcars in pick-up spots all over the city. The reservation includes driver's insurance and a gas card to fill up the tank. Rental is billable by the hour or by the day, starting at $7 per hour and $69 per day, and reservations include 180 free miles per day. This Groupon covers the $25 membership sign-up fee, gets you a year membership (a $50 value) and a $50 driving credit. Click here to see complete rate info.
Signing up is easy; your Groupon will include simple instructions for redeeming on Zipcar's website. Please note: Anyone who doesn't meet Zipcar safe-driver requirements will not be eligible for membership, but will receive a complete refund in one to two weeks. You must activate your Groupon within the next month.
Car-free Yelpers give Zipcar 3.5 stars:
- Zipcar has really saved my a** in those times we've needed to make the run to Costco or do a big shopping trip. …It's cheaper than getting a taxi, and the petrol is free! – Ryan H.
- Perfect for those without a car or like me, a part of a one-car family, Zipcar offers an affordable and reliable solution when Metro won't do. I often use Zipcar for work meetings. – Denice M.
- The best thing about my Zipcar membership? My mom like [sic] to know that I have car access in case of an emergency or something. – Alisa M.
Cars vs. Ponies
There are so many reasons not to own a car:
- maintenance costs
- parking tickets
- back pain from hydraulic lifts
- the irresistible but dangerous urge to sleep beneath the hood on the warm engine
- you have to leave the car in order to ride a pony
While riding a pony solves some of these problems, there’s still a lot you can’t do with it:
- carry more than one bag of groceries
- pick up the waterbed you got on Craigslist
- run errands in no-pony-zones
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Jan 29, 2011. Amount paid never expires. New members only. Limit 1 per person. Must register by 11/28. Must use driving credit within 2 mo. of registration. Valid for Seattle metro area only. Must be 21 and over. Membership will auto-renew unless manually canceled. Must meet safe driving req. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.