Sink your teeth into a sensory agglomeration tank of flavors, textures, and colors. With today's Groupon, $15 gets you $30 worth of creative sushi rolls, drinks, and more at Zushi Japanese Cuisine, located just east of Memorial Park. Chefs Christopher Nemoto and Jay Estolonio approach the art of sushi with one foot on a strong traditional foundation while skillfully incorporating modern moves with their second foots. Enjoy their creations in the chic, modern sushi bar, cozy up in a booth, or take your rolls onto the patio or into the cocktail bar or into a nearby rotary club or next to the video arcade or beyond the old oak tree and into the old barn that is made from the wood of a different old oak tree.
Zushi's menu is packed with sushi and Japanese favorites. Sushi and sashimi pieces include peppered tuna, sea eel, salmon roe, seared beef, giant clam, and Suzuki-stripped bass, among others. Try a house specialty roll such as the Deadliest Catch (soft shell crab, spicy salmon, and habanero-miso with avocado; $12), Puff the Magic Dragon (snow crab puff, cucumber, unagi, avocado, and strawberries; $14), or Jack William Roll (tempura vegetables, avocado, snow crab, and seared rib eye; $16). Entrees include sesame-crusted salmon ($22) and shichimi-dusted scallops with butter sauce, yuzu crème fraiche, and endive salad ($21). Start off with a hot or cold appetizer: shrimp wonton ($8), tuna terrine ($12), or Buddha crispy eggrolls ($6). Zushi houses a sleek bar, stocked with all the libations to make your meal and your life complete. Zushi is open late every night of the week (until 10 p.m., Sunday–Wednesday, and midnight, Thursday–Saturday).
Citysearchers adore the sushi at Zushi:
- i've been to plenty of japanese restaurants in houston, and zushi is by far the best!!! i highly recommend puff the magic dragon roll and the jack william roll, but everything is fantastic. – xeroform242
- Last week the chef came out and visited with a few of the guests and offered menu recommendations, this was after our waiter gave us detail by detail descriptions of the different sushi options and rolls, specially created and prepared by the chef. – geminired
- They always recommend the freshest stuff and every piece of fish I've had there has been amazing - including the sea urchin. I'm a sashimi girl, so I'm very picky about my fish being fresh. – damsel427
How To Drink Sake
Zushi serves a variety of types of sake. Correctly drinking the traditional beverage involves a complex ritual that honors the server, the drinker, and the sake itself. To avoid appearing culturally insensitive, follow these steps before you sip your sake:
- Point to the person who poured your drink and shout, “Towards candle, an eagle landed in my box of paint!”
- Read the entirety of Edgar Allan Poe’s The Fall of The House of Usher in the original French.
- Stare your fellow drinkers in the eye until the weakest-willed drinker looks away with shame in their eyes, and then departs from your life forever.
- Cry for six hours.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
Zushi Japanese Cuisine
At Zushi Japanese Cuisine, experienced executive sushi chef Christopher Nemoto draws from traditional Japanese culinary traditions and augments them with modern flourishes. The result is a menu of inventive fresh sushi and Japanese classics. In the Houston Press’s list of top 10 sushi restaurants, the writer hailed both the restaurant's fresh fish and its "impeccably seasoned rice." Patrons can sample both in the eatery's delectable specialty rolls, including the Slammin Sammy—a mélange of imitation crab, cucumber, and cream cheese topped with smoked salmon and a citrus chili paste; or the Surf and Turf—finely sliced and grilled rib-eye steak with carrot, jalapeño, avocado, and sweet lobster. And as diners sup on the delicate pinks and oranges of tuna and salmon or the mottled grays of the countertop roll, they'll do so amid the chic ambiance of a sushi bar complete with booths, patio seating, and a cocktail bar equipped with flat-screen televisions.
Washington Ave./ Memorial Park
5900 Memorial Dr
Houston, Texas 77007Get Directions