Any price comparison is to a new, nonrefurbished product price.
Haier Energy Star 50 Pt Dehumidifier with Smart Dry (Manufacturer Refurbished)
- 2-speed dehumidifier with smart dry function
- Smart dry adjusts the fan speed automatically according to room conditions
- Removes up to 50 pints of moisture from the air per day
- Electronic controls with digital humidistat
- Features a 24-hour timer
- Auto restart remembers the last setting in case of a power outage
- Auto defrost prevents frost buildup on the unit (down to 41 degrees)
- Features a bucket-full indicator light with an audible alarm
- Drain connection allows for attaching a standard garden hose
- Dimensions: 13.37” x 10.62” x 16.5”
Though today it’s known for consumer electronics, Haier’s origins are in refrigerators, which it began producing in China in the 1920s. It was taken over by the communist state in the ’40s and production and quality went down. In the 1980s, Zhang Ruimin, a visionary managing director, was appointed to lead the factory into the global marketplace. He met a customer who had complained about a faulty fridge and launched a factory-wide test. Zhang discovered a 20% failure rate. After lining up each nonfunctioning fridge, he directed the factory’s employees to smash them with hammers—sending the message that from then on, high quality would be paramount. This attitude has helped Haier persevere into the 21st century, and it’s now well-known for its sleek, innovative televisions, mobile devices, and computers.