Marlene Dietrich: The Glamour Collection (2-DVD Set)
One of the First Screen Stars
German-born Marlene Dietrich arrived on American movie screens not long after the talkie era began, and she stayed there for decades thanks to her versatility as an actress and her undeniable screen presence. This collection gathers five of her best-known works, some pre-dating the Hays Code and thus featuring an edge that wouldn’t be out of place in today’s films.
- Morocco: Nominated for the Oscar for Best Actress thanks to her performance in this film, Dietrich portrays a cabaret singer who falls for an American (Gary Cooper) who has joined the French Foreign Legion.
- Blonde Venus: Co-starring Cary Grant, the film stars Dietrich as a cabaret singer who goes to desperate lengths to raise money for her husband’s medical treatments.
- The Devil Is a Woman: Co-starring Cesar Romero, the film is set in the Carnival in Spain and finds Dietrich as the object of two men’s love, which ends in them fighting over her.
- The Flame of New Orleans: Dietrich is, once again, caught between two potential lovers, with an extra twist: her character is also pretending to be a lookalike cousin.
- Golden Earrings: Co-starring Ray Milland, the film finds Dietrich as a gypsy protecting a British pilot from the Nazis during WWII.
Good to Know
- With English, French, and Spanish subtitles
- Not rated
- On two DVDs
- Total run time: 441 minutes