Motown 25: Yesterday Today Forever on DVD
An explosive, irresistibly upbeat celebration of Berry Gordy’s Motown label 25 years after its founding, Motown 25 features the stars who called the label home, all singing their chart-topping hits. Watch reunion performances by the Jackson 5, the Supremes, and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, and witness first-hand “six seconds that changed the world”—Michael Jackson’s world premiere of the moonwalk (to thunderous applause from everyone except Neil Armstrong).
- More than five hours of special features
- Previously unreleased performances
- Interviews with main players and those who worked behind the scenes
- Documentary clips from the making of the special
The Highlights Reel
Hosted by Richard Pryor, the telecast pulled out all the stops: performances by Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, and, of course, Michael Jackson come one after the other, interspersed with affecting displays of emotion and a minute or two of rancor between Ross and the rest of the Supremes. The Four Tops and the Temptations engage in a “battle of the bands,” and all the performers gather onstage for a moving tribute to Berry Gordy, the man responsible for bringing African-American performers to the fore in 1960s America.
- 5.1 surround sound
- Directed by acclaimed longtime TV live-event expert Don Mischer
- Number of discs: 3
- Not rated
- Released by Time Life Entertainment
- Total run time: 450 minutes