Sega Genesis Classics for PlayStation 4 or Xbox One
- Collection of 50 classic Sega games
- Includes Sonic, Streets of Rage 2, and Phantasy Star
- Single- and multiplayer modes
- Features an authentic visual style
- Includes enhanced functions, such as Rewind
- Mirror Mode flips the screen horizontally for an extra challenge
- Developer: Digital Eclipse
- System: PlayStation 4 or Xbox One
- Condition: new
Gen Xers and millennials certainly remember Sonic the Hedgehog, a blue blur who sprinted, jumped, and spun through perilous environments at ridiculous speeds. The popular franchise from Sega set off the classic rivalry with Nintendo in the 1990s. But the genesis of the Sega company far predates video games. Sega’s roots go as far back as the 1950s, when its main products were jukeboxes and slot machines, and eventually mechanical arcade games.
The next frontier was the home market, and so in the 1980s Sega released several home consoles, none of which had more than mild success. Enter Sonic. His game was included with Genesis consoles in the early ’90s, and the speedster’s popularity, alongside licensed games featuring Michael Jackson, Joe Montana, and Evander Holyfield, drew more players to the console, which soon outsold Nintendo’s Super NES. The company continues to draw new fans by becoming a top developer for consoles (including Nintendo’s) and mobile, still creating games for Sonic alongside its popular Yakuza and Dawn of War series.