Jumbo Mixed Tulip Bulbs with 7 Varieties (35-Pack)
- Suncatcher, Pim Fortuyn, Escape, Purple Flag, Flaming Flag, King’s Orange, Apricot Fox
- 5 bulbs of each variety
- Mixed colors
- Time of the year when it will bloom: mid spring
- Plant tulip bulbs in the fall, 6–8 weeks before a hard frost is expected and when soils are below 60 degrees F (usually during September and October in the north, and October and November in the south). Tulips prefer a site with full or afternoon sun. In Zones 7 and 8, choose a shady site or one with morning sun only. Soil must be well-draining, neutral to slightly acidic, fertile, and dry or sandy. All tulips dislike areas with excessive moisture. Tall varieties should be sheltered from strong winds. Prepare the garden bed by using a garden fork or tiller to loosen the soil to a depth of 12”–15”, then mix in a 2”–4” layer of compost. Space bulbs 4”–6” apart, choose an appropriate plot size. Plant bulbs deep, at least 4”–6”, measuring from the base of the bulb. And that means digging even deeper, to loosen the soil and allow for drainage, or creating raised beds. Remember, the bigger the bulb, the deeper a hole it needs. Set the bulb in the hole with the pointy end up. Cover with soil and press soil firmly. Water bulbs right after planting. Although they can’t bear wet feet, bulbs need water to trigger growth.
- USDA hardiness zone: 3–8
- Estimated height when fully grown: 14”–18”
- The date product will ship: 10/1/18
- Country of origin: Netherlands
Planting flowers takes more than some digging and occasional watering. Read through this buying guide for tips on how to grow a healthy, colorful garden.