Release date: March 3, 2017
- Nintendo Switch console with neon blue and neon red Joy-Con controllers
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Nintendo Switch
- Just Dance 2017 for Nintendo Switch
The latest console from the video-game wizards at Nintendo, the Switch combines the motion-control madness of the Wii with the portable magic of the 3DS into one next-gen experience. Unlike standalone consoles such as the PS4 or Xbox One, the Switch can be played either on a TV or on the go, thanks to the flexibility of its Joy-Con controllers. Individually, each Joy-Con can be held like a Wii remote (making use of its built-in motion controls) or turned sideways and played like a traditional gamepad. Together, they snap into each side of the Joy-Con grip, forming a pro-style controller complete with dual joysticks.
As for the Switch itself, the innovative design features two different setups, making for infinite possibilities of how (and where) to play. At home, the console rests in the charging dock to display games on an HDTV in brilliant 1080p resolution. But the system also serves as a small TV itself: simply remove it from the dock, snap the Joy-Con controllers onto its rails, and carry it wherever you go—even if it’s only to your bed.
Newest system from Nintendo combines two different play styles
- Hybrid TV and handheld console plays games either on the TV or on the go
- Local and online multiplayer
- Link up to eight systems together to play with friends anywhere
- Included: Switch console, Switch dock, left and right Joy-Cons, Joy-Con wrist straps, Joy-Con grip, Switch AC adapter, and HDMI cable
- Handheld variation sports a 6.2” touchscreen with 1280x720 resolution
- Contains 32GB of internal memory, expandable via a microSDHC or microSDXC card
- Up to six hours of battery life on a single charge
- Each Joy-Con controller packs motion controls and HD rumble into a tiny frame
- Buy digital versions of new and classic games from the Nintendo eShop
- Capture screenshots and share them on social media
- Unique parental controls system lets you manage eShop purchases, limit social-media sharing, restrict access to games based on ESRB ratings—all handled remotely via a free downloadable mobile app
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Hyrule needs you. As the latest incarnation of Link, you have been called upon again to save the land from a returned Ganon—and this time, the world that needs saving is bigger than ever before. With towering mountain peaks enveloped in snow, vast fields populated by moblins and worse, and mysterious forests that seem to go on forever, Breath of the Wild is 12 times larger than the world of Twilight Princess. Also unlike recent games in the series, Breath of the Wild invites players to explore at their own pace. The plot does not develop in a linear way, but instead manifests through the living, breathing world as the player discovers it. It’s a throwback to the exploration-centric style of the very first game, but this time, it’s rendered in stunning HD.
- Explore Hyrule however you’d like, with challenging dungeons that may be discovered in any order.
- Interact with the world like never before, thanks to features such as tree branches that can be used to light fires, and shields that can be put to multiple creative uses.
- Discover secret technologies devised by people who inhabited the land long ago, and use them to unravel the larger mystery of Ganon’s return.
- Other features never-before-seen in the Legend of Zelda series include HD resolution, a detailed physics engine, and voice acting for key characters including Zelda and the Great Deku Tree.
- ESRB rating: E
Just Dance 2017
Arriving for the Nintendo Switch on launch day, Just Dance 2017 updates the iconic game by making use of the Switch’s motion-control and portable features. With a variety of new and classic tracks such as “Into You” by Ariana Grande, “Watch Me (Whip/ Nae Nae)” by Silentó, and “Cheap Thrills” by Sia featuring Sean Paul, the 2017 version of Just Dance contains the full gamut of songs that have been stuck in everyone’s head lately. Luckily, the Nintendo Switch version makes use of the system’s portability by letting you carry your favorite tracks with you and start impromptu dance parties wherever you go.
- Dance to more than 40 music tracks including some of the biggest hits of 2016
- Nintendo Switch exclusive track: “How Deep Is Your Love” by Calvin Harris & Disciples (via Just Dance Unlimited)
- Play on the go using the Joy-Con controllers or by connecting your smartphone to the game
- Includes free 3-month subscription to Just Dance Unlimited, a catalog of more than 200 songs
- Five game modes, including local and online multiplayer
- ESRB rating: E (Mild Lyrics)