“The World’s Most Valuable Coin” Double-Eagle Gold Coin Replica
What It Is
A replica of 1933 Saint-Gaudens $20 Double Eagle gold coin, of which one is in circulation; it sold for nearly $7.6 million in July 2002.
Why Just One Coin?
- Nearly 450,000 were made originally by the US Mint, but before they could be released…
- President Franklin Roosevelt issued an order keeping gold coins from circulation
- Nearly all original coins were melted down, but a few snuck into circulation
- King Farouk of Egypt wound up with the only legally circulated coin
Good to Know
- Replica of original design
- 34mm in diameter
- Comes with protective case
- Story of the original coin included