Culinary Tour - Virginia Wine Country
Three-Day Culinary Trip with Accommodations and Some Meals from Epitourean
Virginian Wines, Southern Flavors, and Regional Seafood at 19th-Century Mansion
The culinary-travel specialists at Epitourean create food-focused itineraries for adventurous eaters, highlighting authentic regional cuisine in its own setting through tours, cooking classes, and gourmet meals. This deal takes you on a culinary adventure through central Virginia, an area known for its rolling wineries, southern seasonings, and seafood fresh out of Chesapeake Bay.
Chef’s tasting menu at Civil War–era mansion: The retreat takes place at The Lafayette Inn, an 1840s-era Federalist mansion that has served as both a saloon and a Civil War hospital. Its guest rooms feature four-poster beds, crocheted quilts, and locally produced bath products, and some feature fireplaces.
The culinary adventure begins with a chef's tasting menu of five or more courses, each paired with a vintage from the wine list. Although dishes frequently vary to showcase seasonal ingredients, chefs often draw from the main menu, which includes lump crab in garlic cream, fried green tomatoes, and Southern Comfort shrimp and grits. Each morning at the inn, you’ll enjoy a cooked-to-order breakfast that includes omelets and french toast.
Cooking class and sous-chef apprenticeship with the inn’s executive chef: Alan—who doubles as the inn's executive chef—will lead you in an intimate, hands-on cooking class at the onsite restaurant. Later on, you’ll join the chef to prep ingredients and meals for the restaurant as he teaches culinary tricks of the trade, showing you the best ways to use certain kitchen gadgets and recipes.
Wine tasting: You’ll join a private wine tasting at Stone Mountain Vineyards, where you can take a self-guided tour of its gorgeous countryside.
What You Get
Three-day, two-night Virginia wine-country culinary trip. Valid for a Travel with a Friend package (two Groupons required), or pay an additional fee to travel solo. Read about package structures here.
- $539 per person (up to an $898 value each)
Book by: 3/08/13
Travel by: 12/31/13
Solo traveler fee: $350
Included with this Getaway:
- Accommodations at The Lafayette Inn
- Daily country breakfast and one lunch
- Chef-prepared multi-course tasting dinner with wine pairings
- Cooking class and sous-chef experience
- Self-guided wine tour
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
- Antique furnishings and gas fireplaces
- Framed by Blue Ridge Mountains
- Free WiFi
What Makes This Getaway Great
We're confident in your Groupon experience and back it with the Groupon Promise. Learn more.
Groupon-Exclusive Discounts. We negotiate directly with hotels and tour operators to get you the deepest discount available -- as only Groupon can.
Handpicked Travel. Our travel experts and writers research every getaway for you.
Booking Guarantee. If the merchant is unable to book the stay you want during the available dates and before the book-by date, we'll refund your purchase.
More Great Deals See all
The Fine Print
- Book by 3/08/2013 or promotional value expires
- Must complete travel by 12/31/13
- Limit 1 per person, may buy 3 additional as gifts
- Limit 1 per visit
- All cancellations subject to $75 fee
- 21-day cancellation notice required or fee up to Groupon price applies
- Must be 18 or older to check in
- Must provide first and last name upon purchase, which will be provided to Epitourean
- Redemption occurs upon booking with Epitourean; no refunds will be processed by Groupon after redemption
- Single traveler supplement of $350 and 12% tax not included.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
In All Included Rooms
- One queen bed; one queen bed and one queen sofa bed; two queen beds; or one king bed and one queen sofa bed
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 2
- Adding occupants above standard: not allowed
- Antique furnishings and unique layouts
- One or two fireplaces in many rooms
- Private baths
- Check in: 3 p.m.
- Check out: 11 a.m.
- Parking: free
- Rollaways: not available
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property
- Pet policy: pets are not allowed inside the property.
- Accessibility: handicap-accessible rooms are available upon request during booking.
- Room upgrades: not available
- By plane: 15 miles from Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport (CHO); 85 miles from Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- By car: about 100 miles southwest of Washington, DC
- Accommodations at The Lafayette Inn can be in any room, based on availability; early reservations will receive the best rooms.
- Inform chef Alan in advance of any dietary restrictions.
The Groupon Guide to: Still-Life Painting
Still-life paintings are the easiest kind to do because everything you’re painting is already dead, thus holding still. Try out these subjects for your next still life:
- A skull being used as a vase
- A bunch of mangoes in a bowl but one of them is purple
- Two teakettles. They don’t have faces, but do they somehow seem to be … talking to each other?
- The bust of an ancient emperor sitting on a little girl’s nightstand
- A wooden table strewn with a bunch of dead quail
- A harpsichord gathering dust in a corner while a shiny electric guitar sits, well cared for, in a stand
- A man’s hat, pipe, and book all sit on his chair, which has the imprint of his body, but there is no sign of the man.
- A bunch of absurdly wet fruit