How to Dress Like Shosanna from "Inglourious Basterds"
Tarantino’s film is remembered more for its savagery than its style, but Shosanna’s wardrobe stands out—especially the red dress she wore for the movie’s bloody climax.
For Shosanna Dreyfus, the heroine of Quentin Tarantino’s World War II farce Inglourious Basterds, wardrobe choices are a matter of survival. As a cinema owner who must hide her Jewish heritage in Nazi-occupied Paris, she keeps a low profile in monochromatic duds and a baker-boy cap. However, at the film’s climax, Shosanna trades her stovepipe trousers for a crimson dress that demands attention. The vibrant color underscores her bold revenge plot.
Pay homage to Shosanna’s strategic style with these two modern looks: one subtle and one standout.
For this ensemble, a stacked-heel boot supports the volume of the pants, and a fitted, cropped blazer keeps everything in proportion. The tee’s illustration evokes Shosanna’s escape from the SS.
1. Run T-shirt; Threadless ($9.95)
2. Eric wool front-pleat wide-leg pant; Alice and Olivia ($275)
3. Camilla schoolboy cap; Goorin Bros. ($19.50)
4. Nina Langara fold-over clutch; Lori’s Shoes ($68.95)
5. White single-button blazer; YesStyle ($64.80)
6. Navy suede boot; rag & bone ($495)
When styled with booties, a peplum dress offers a modern alternative to Shoshanna’s ruffle-waisted top and full skirt. Shoshanna didn’t wear jewelry, but these simple alphabet earrings recall the block letters on her theater’s marquee.
1. Evvie structured waist dress; Ted Baker ($177)
2. Posh the Limit hat; Modcloth ($44.99)
3. 14-karat gold alphabet stud earrings; BaubleBar ($98 each)
4. Skull clutch; Lori’s Shoes ($54.95)
5. Susan black suede booties; City Soles ($149.99)
6. Pin Up to You tights; Modcloth ($15.99)