You’ve Got an LBD. Now Get an LWD.
Summer’s answer to the LBD, little white dresses have been making the red-carpet rounds for years, most recently on fashion It girls Lupita Nyong’o and Alexa Chung, in Lanvin and Chanel respectively. These two designers, along with Thakoon and Carolina Herrera, ensured that white is the color of the season at their Spring/Summer 2014 fashion shows, where they debuted look after crisp white look in styles that ran the gamut from glamorous to sporty.
Below, we’ve created two looks with LWDs as the centerpiece: one casual ensemble for day and a more elegant spin on the trend for evening. For more ideas, head to ideeli’s White Hot trend boutique.
The Look: Day
The LWD works naturally with another current trend: sports-inspired style. This tennis dress, with its loose silhouette and short, flowy skirt, will keep you cool on summer days. Spike-backed earrings add a little edge, as do modern, almost seamless sneakers. (If it’s too hot for sneakers, swap in sporty sandals.) Matte Lip Tar and a striped handbag introduce pops of color to the otherwise monochromatic outfit.
1. Drop-waist tennis dress; Rag & Bone ($550)
2. Handbag; Debenhams ($82)
3. Michael Kors watch; ideeli ($199)
4. Hand-sewn sneakers; Feit ($450)
5. Narcissus Matte Pink Lip Tar; Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics ($18)
6. Spike-back pearl earrings; Barneys ($100)
7. Aviator sunglasses; Buckle ($12.95)
The Look: Evening
Just because it’s a basic doesn’t mean an LWD has to be simple: this asymmetrical design overlaps a flowing midi dress with a short, almost A-line silhouette. Maintain the fashion-forward aesthetic with a patterned clutch and red-orange lip, which are balanced by simple jewelry and shoes that share the dress’s color palette.
1. Asymmetrical dress; Not Just a Label ($578)
2. Marni clutch; SSENSE ($170)
3. Earrings; Jeweliq ($20)
4. Contrast pumps; Alice and Olivia ($345)
5. Gold bangle; Maria Black ($166)
6. Bite Beauty Cashmere Lip Cream in Sherry; Sephora ($28)