There are ways to file your taxes online for free. But, many of us will end up paying something to get through tax season. To take the guessing out of doing your taxes, we’ve made a complete guide to exactly what you’ll end up paying to file your taxes this year with H&R Block.
From basic packages to add-ons, we break down the costs so you don’t get a surprise bill when you’re finally ready to file. (You’re welcome!) Bonus: Don’t miss out on all the savings available to you on the Groupon Coupons H&R Block coupons page.
H&R Block Pricing & Packages
H&R Block offers four packages to file your taxes online: Free, Deluxe, Premium, and Self-Employed. There are also add-ons where you can get varying levels of support from the company's tax professionals. Click Help Me Choose to fill out a quick questionnaire that can help you find the right plan for you, or check out the full details on each tier right here.
- Final Cost: $0
- Should You Use It? Yes, if you have a pretty simple return. You can claim the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Social Security Income, and Student Loan interest deduction using this package.
- Free Alternative: The IRS Free File program is free for about 70% of Americans, if they have an adjusted gross income of $72,000 or less. It’s the first place Groupon Coupons recommends filers look for free options.
- Final Cost: $23.99 for federal + $36.99 for state ($60.98 total)
- Should You Use It? If you want to itemize your deductions or have a Health Savings Account, the Deluxe option can handle all that. Plus, H&R Block offers Second Look Review for free. They’ll review your old return and see if you missed out on money.
- Free Alternative: Check out the IRS Free File options or prepare your taxes yourself with Free File Fillable Forms from the IRS. You can also avoid the $36.99 fee for state filing by going through your state’s website for free.
- Final Cost: $39.99 for federal + $36.99 for state ($76.98 total)
- Should You Get It? If you own rental properties, have significant investments, or have a side hustle with less than $5,000 in business expenses, it’s worth it to have access to H&R Block’s live phone and chat tech support.
- Free Alternative: Prepare your taxes yourself with Free File Fillable Forms from the IRS. You can also avoid the $36.99 state fee by filing through your state’s website for free. There is no support with this option, so if you have questions, you have to find the answer on your own.
- Final Cost: $67.99 for federal + $36.99 for state ($104.98 total)
- Should I Get It? Yes! Self-employed individuals have many more tax liabilities to handle than traditional W-2 wage earners, so working with a professional preparer is the best option unless you are very well-versed in the tax rules. And H&R Block offers extra support for users at this level. If you receive a letter from the IRS, H&R Block will help resolve it for FREE.
- Free Alternative: You can try to go it alone with Free File Fillable Forms from the IRS. And you can also avoid the $36.99 state fee by filing through your state’s website for free. But you truly are on your own.
H&R Block Add-Ons and How Much They’re Going To Cost You
Customize your package with any of these add-ons as needed:
- Cost: Starting at $39.99
- What You Get: Enjoy unlimited help with a live person with on-demand chat and video on any device.
- Cost: $69 + additional state fee
- What You Get: Gather your documents and let a tax pro do their thing.
- Cost: $39
- What You Get: Use your refund to pay for your tax preparation.
- Cost: $19.99
- What You Get: Protects your identity and refund from theft.
More Savings Tips at H&R Block
- File with software: Starting at $19.95, you can download the tax software to easily track everything on your desktop.
- H&R Block + Amazon: Opt to receive your refund on an Amazon gift card and H&R Block will add a 3.5% bonus.
- Missing Stimulus Check?: If you never received your 2020 stimulus check or were underpaid based on your 2020 income, H&R Block can help you apply for Recovery Rebate Credit if you’re eligible.
- Virtual Tax Prep: For $69, you can book a tax pro online, see the price, upload your documents, and have your return filed all from the comfort of your own home.
- Tax Extension Help: If you need time to file your taxes you can file for an extension with H&R Block for $10.