Nothing is more of a bummer than buying something and then finding out you could’ve gotten a better deal on it somewhere else. Thankfully brands like Target offer Price Match Guarantees to help ensure you always get the best deals.
But, the Target Price Match policies is somewhat wordy and confusing. Don’t fret! Groupon Coupons did all the research to create this handy guide to help you save big when you price match at Target. Once you’ve got a grasp on the policy, don’t forget to check out part two to find out how to save big with Target’s Price Match Guarantee.
The item must have the identical brand name, size, weight, color, quantity, and model number. It also must be in stock at the time of Price Match.
What You Need To Know To Price Match at Target
Here’s the Cliffsnotes version of Target’s Price Match Policy, so you never pay more than you have to.
- Target will match the price of any identical, qualifying item you find for less at Target.com or select online competitors.
- The complete list of online competitors is available online or at Guest Services.
- Price matches may be requested at the time of purchase or within 14 days after purchase.
- If you find a lower price within 14 days of purchase, just bring in the proof and Target will adjust your payment.
- Target store price matches and adjustments can be made at the store in any checkout line. For Target.com purchases, call Target.com Guest Services at 1-800-591-3869.
Original receipts or packing slips are required for price adjustments after purchase.
The More You Know, The More You Save
Let’s dive a little deeper into the Price Match details …
- The price for an item must be listed and valid at the time of the price match request.
- Offers found on deal websites will be validated at the retailer’s primary website and must meet all other price match criteria.
- Please bring the entire printed ad, show the online price or digital version of the ad on your mobile device to prove the price.
- You can match Target.com prices on in-store purchases and in-store prices for Target.com purchases.
- In-store price matches from other Target stores are excluded.
- When price matching with the Target app, the Target app must be showing the price of the store location you’re at for the adjustment.
- No rainchecks will be issued for items out of stock at Target or Target.com to match a competitor's price.
- Target can limit the number of price matches, per identical item per guest, for local and/or online competitor matches.
Alaska and Hawaii Target stores are excluded from price matching online competitors.
Target Price Match Exclusions
Now, let’s get to what you can’t request a Price Match for.
- Clearance, closeout, liquidation sales, damaged, used, open package, refurbished, pre-owned, or rent/lease to own items, storewide or category promotions, offers advertised as % or $ off, non-branded items, or prices that only display on a website after guests log in.
- Pricing due to typographical errors, competitor doorbusters/lightning sales (including Amazon Prime or Amazon Fresh Exclusive offers), coupon offers, loyalty cards, promotional codes, credit card offers, gift card offers (Target gift card, specialty, and pre-paid gift card), financing, service offers, bundled offers, sales tax promotions, free items, rebates or mail-in offers.
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. Target suspends price matching from Thanksgiving Day through the entire week after Thanksgiving.
- Find more information on exclusions here.
Price Matching at Target Q&A
Still, need more information? We found the most popular questions and got you the answers you need.
Can I Price Match Groceries?
- Produce items must be identical, brand name, size, weight, and quantity to qualify for price match.
- Items need to be sold in the same unit of measure (per pound vs. per item).
- Non-SuperTargets can't match per-pound items.
Can prices in-store be different than Target.com?
Pricing, promotions, styles, and availability may vary between store and online. When price matching with the Target app, the Target app must be showing the price of the current store location.
What works as proof for a price match request?
- Local printed ads: Present the entire printed ad. Photos or photocopies of the ad won’t work. However, digital versions of printed advertisements are accepted.
- Online prices: Present the price on your mobile device from a qualifying competitor's website or Target.com. A Target team member will then verify the match—no screenshots or pictures.
Does the item have to be in stock to qualify for a price match?
If you’re requesting a price match with a competitor, yes, the item does need to be in stock. If you’re asking for a price match with Target.com, no, it does not.
Will my RedCard 5% discount work on a price-matched item?
Yes. Some restrictions do apply, however.
Can I use Target Circle offers or a coupon when price matching an item?
Coupons will be applied after the price match is made in stores only. Target coupons and Target Circle offers can’t be used with price matches.
Can Target Team Member discounts be used on a price match?
Looking for more ways to save on your next order at Target? Check out our Target Savings Guide and collection of Target coupons.