If you love to shop at Walmart, then you should consider one of Walmart’s payment cards and start earning cash rewards today. There are three: Walmart MoneyCard, a preloaded bank card that earns cash back on Walmart purchases, a Walmart Rewards credit card that exclusively earns cash rewards on Walmart purchases, or the Capital One Walmart Rewards credit card that earns the highest cash back rewards on all purchases. Each card has its own benefits, so the Groupon Coupons team wrote this easy-to-follow guide so you can decide which one is right for you.
The Walmart MoneyCard is a pre-loaded bank card—not a credit card—with some really great perks. When you use it at Walmart, you earn up to 3% back in cash rewards. But it isn’t limited to Walmart usage, you can swipe it anywhere Visa or Mastercard are accepted. The best part for many customers is that you don’t have to worry about a minimum credit score to open a card, there is no minimum balance requirement, and you won’t rack up debt by overspending. (There are overdraft fees if you have more than a negative $10 balance.)
- Up to $75 in cash back rewards per year (3% at Walmart.com, 2% on Walmart fuel, and 1% on in-store purchases)
- Free direct deposit of payroll or government benefits, and you can get your money up to two days early
- No minimum balance requirement
- No check cashing fees
- Free cash withdrawals at Walmart locations
- Free cash reloads with the MoneyCard app
- Free savings account that earns 2% APY on up to $1,000
- Free online bill pay service
- Protections against unauthorized transactions
- $5.94 monthly usage fee, unless you load at least $1,000 onto card monthly. See the fee schedule for full details.
- $2.50 fee for bank and ATM withdrawals, PLUS any third-party fee charged by a bank or ATM operator.
- $3 fee to reload cash at Walmart checkout (Walmart Rapid Reload). Up to $5.95 to reload cash at retailers in Green Dot reload network.
Get a $20 BONUS when you make one new qualifying direct deposit of $500+ to a card by 8/15/21.
Walmart MoneyCard Full Details
Who it’s good for: Frequent Walmart shoppers who don’t have a free bank account or have low credit scores. The Walmart MoneyCard offers many of the services of a bank for free, including direct deposit and bill pay, and there are no minimum balance requirements. Plus you earn cash back rewards, just like a credit card without worrying about debt. Apply today.
- Card Opening Fee: $1
- Maximum Balance: $10,000
- Cash Reload Fee: $0 at Walmart, up to $5.95 at other retailers
- ATM Withdrawal Fee: $2.50 per withdrawal, plus ATM operator fee
- Rewards: 3% cash back on walmart.com and Walmart app purchases, 2% cash back at Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Up to $75 each year.
- Mobile Check Deposit: You CAN deposit checks via the mobile app
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3%
- Get Paid Early: Get your pay up to 2 days before payday & your benefits up to 4 days before benefits day with ASAP Direct Deposit.
- Monthly Fee: $5.94; waived if you load $1,000 or more to your card a month
Walmart’s Capital One Rewards credit card is one of the best store credit card options out there. You earn cash back rewards whether you’re shopping at Walmart or anywhere else, and there’s no annual fee. If you’re in the market for a new credit card, it’s worth checking out.
- Best cash back option: 5% cash back on walmart.com purchases, including pickup and delivery; 2% back at in Walmart stores and fuel, restaurants, and travel; 1% cash back everywhere else
- No annual fee
- $0 fraud liability for unauthorized charges
- Easy card lock if your card is lost or stolen
- No foreign transaction fee
- No intro APR period
- You need good to excellent credit
- High 26.99% APR
Capital One Walmart Rewards Card Full Details
Who it’s good for: Frequent Walmart shoppers with high credit scores who are looking for a full-service rewards credit card. The Walmart Capital One Rewards credit card has significantly better cash-back rewards than the Walmart MoneyCard and you earn rewards with all your shopping, instead of just at Walmart. But it’s a credit card, so you take on significantly more risk for debt and interest charges as well. Apply today. There is also a Walmart Rewards Card, which only offers cash-back rewards on Walmart purchases.
- Introductory Offer: 5% cash back in Walmart stores for the first 12 months when you use your Walmart Rewards Card with Walmart Pay.
- Annual Fee: $0
- Regular APR:17.99%–26.99% Variable APR
- Cash Back Rewards:
- 5% cashback at Walmart.com, including pickup and delivery orders
- 2% in Walmart stores and fuel stations, restaurants, and on travel
- 1% everywhere else
- Max Out Your Rewards:
- Redeem for Cash: Get a check or apply rewards as a statement credit
- Cover a Purchase: Use rewards during checkout at walmart.com
- Gift Cards: Redeem points for gift cards from Walmart or other retailers
- Travel: Use rewards on flights, hotels, and more.
Never miss a Walmart sale when you checkout our up-to-date Walmart Sales Calendar.