Like the patient pinot in its oaken barrel, the Miami International Wine Fair just gets better with age, and this year promises to send your taste buds to the foreign climes of Chile, Lebanon, Uruguay, Thailand, and more on the quest for the perfect bottle of grapey goodness. For $45, today's Groupon gets you an evening of wine tasting and oenophile camaraderie at the eighth annual Miami International Wine Fair (a $75 value). Your general-admission pass gets you into the grand tasting on either Saturday, September 26, or Sunday, September 27, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Go on Saturday to make the most of your pass by attending a post-fair cocktail party. Drink your fill of wild gossip about the 2009 un-oaked chardonnay scandal with fellow wine-buffs and industry professionals.
This wine fair is also a trade show, so you're guaranteed access to some exquisite wines that are not available in the US market, as they are seeking importers. As you mill about the spacious Miami Beach Convention Center, be sure to bring a notebook to take down tasting notes, overheard bits of dialogue, and ideas for new sitcoms set around families. You can taste samples from 20 countries and choose from nearly 1,500 wines. Some of South Florida's restaurants will provide culinary morsels to pair with the perfect vintage on the picnic blanket of your tongue. After an evening of tasting and note taking, grab dinner and your favorite slinky evening attire and head to Aerobar at 11 p.m. on Saturday for your complimentary cocktail and hobnobbing.
Both Saturday and Sunday ticket holders may attend a free seminar, "You be the Judge: An Introduction to Evaluating Wine", on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. The seminar's 50 seats are first come, first served, so arrive early to milk your wine-fair ticket for all its worth. Check out the Miami International Wine Fair's schedule for updated information, and keep abreast of the fair's developments with its newsletter. As an added bonus, proceeds from tickets will benefit Educate Tomorrow, a non-profit organization that supports young people as they age out of the foster-care system.
The 2008 Miami International Wine Fair was covered in The Examiner, Coral Living, 944 Magazine, Florida International Magazine, Miami Living, The Boca Raton Observer, Sun Sentinel, TheSouthFloridaGourmet.com, The Miami Herald, and elsewhere. Here's what a few had to say:
- From bubbly to reserves, vintage to spirits, palates were pleased on the grand tasting grounds. Folks sough [sic] out new and old grapes as they nibbled on gourmet cheeses and sampled bites while recording hours of tasting notes. One thing's for sure: there wasn't a dry taster in the house. – Metromix
- It's the Super Bowl of wine quaffing... – UrbanDaddy
- ...wine lovers can revel in the variety of global tastes brought together only for their pleasure. – Article Cube
What You Need to Know: Wine
Before you head to the Wine Fair, you’ll want to know these basic wine facts:
- Wine is a liquid made from fermented grapes that can be measured by volume, which is fixed by its temperature and pressure.
- Wine bottles did not receive their distinctive shape to conform to the shape of wine. Instead, wine consists of molecules spaced far enough apart from each other that its shape must conform to the shape of its containers.
- If wine is at rest in a uniform gravitational field, the pressure P at any point is given by P = PGZ where:
P = the density of the liquid (assumed constant)
G = gravity
Z = the depth of the point below the surface
1901 Convention Center Dr
Miami Beach, Florida 33139Get Directions