With today’s Groupon, $27 gets you three classes at Chic Physique (a $54 value). This femme fitness facility is located in Bethesda, a brisk nine miles from downtown D.C. The cozy studio setting lends itself to a confidence-boosting alternative way to shape shift—meaning you'll be dancing and kickboxing your way to top condition, just like Rocky IV, except female-centric and with some semblance of lucidity.
Atypical routines require unorthodox equipment: the means to your fitness ends include poles, hula-hoops, chairs, and other weapons of mass seduction. You'll take classes such as Ooh La La Lap Dance, Chairlicious, and Pole Tease; all classes offered and their corresponding descriptions can be seen here. But don't let the names throw you off; this isn't a mere vixen-training factory. Rather, it's an opportunity to cut loose (footloose) and uncage your mind while knocking out some unwanted calories in the process. According to an ExpressNightOut.com article, "There's no doubt pole dancing embraces eroticism, but it requires just as much silliness as sexiness."
Chic Physique opened its doors in October 2009, so, along with its fresh take on fitness, you can expect brand new amenities and a distinct lack of ghosts, unlike musty Victorian era gyms. Leading the charge are highly trained instructors such as professional pole-dancer Jessalynn Medairy, who heads upper-level classes. Her classes, like all Chic's classes, are taught in a group setting, so you'll be surrounded by a flock of friendly women prepared to reshape and refine.
- "When you're hanging on a pole, it makes you feel beautiful. The moment you leave class, you feel different," says [Chic instructor Jesslynne] Medairy, who says her transformation went far beyond state of mind. Within months of starting training, she dropped 25 pounds and saw her entire body tone up. "I'm built the way I am now because of the pole," she adds. – Vick Hallet, Express Night Out
- Set to hot music, students wiggle, sway, and drop onto and around a chair, working arms, core, legs, and of course the tight little derriere. The studio recommends wearing sexy heels, but bare feet will work. Boas and top hats are there as props. Even novices come away with a basic routine after one class. – Daily Candy
One commenter on the Express Night Out article couldn’t contain her enthusiasm:
- Pole dancing is really awesome exercise and so fun!....Chic Physique has a bunch of great instructors, and I've enjoyed taking all sorts of classes there (like chair dancing and flexibility). A great way to shake up the routine, especially with cold weather coming. – Sarah
Better than a Cold Shower
Many people who take pole-dancing classes are eager to find new ways to express their sensuality and impress a partner. Some moves, however, are designed to end the evening early and protect your boudoir from unwanted exes and stubborn first dates:
- The Rotisserie Spin: Consuming entire roast chicken while clinging to the pole
- The Sultry Snape: Any move performed to a Harry Potter audio book
- The Up-Close-and-Personal: Dance is performed four inches from recipient, while you recite his or her entire medical history
- The Cosmonaut: Mechanical failure of pole causes a sudden hull-breach, imminent implosion, and a string of creative Russian swearing
- The Pet-Threaten: Self-explanatory
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
Chic Physique Aerial Academy
At Chic Physique Aerial Academy, women come together during empowering dance classes that tap into their sensuality. The instructors lead students of all skill levels through pole and specialty classes, using poles, suspension training, and body weight as tools to sculpt muscles and increase strength. Intro to Pole, along with many other classes, focuses on alignment, pole grips, and muscle building to work up to enough strength to one day carry a chiseled fireman safely out of a fire. Pole Basics, along with many other classes, focus on.