A good laugh is as essential and elusive as finding a good man or a perfectly packed can of spray cheese. Today’s Groupon gets giggles and all-out laughs in abundance: you get admission to an event at the Vancouver Global ComedyFest. Now in its seventh year, the festival runs from Thursday, September 16, through Sunday, September 26, at various venues throughout the city. Purchase a Groupon for one of the following shows, all of which take place at the Vogue Theatre:
- $16 for admission to Comedy Action Pack in 3-D, featuring Reza Peyk, Jy Harris, and Gary Fong, on Friday, September 17, at 8 p.m. (up to a $33.50 value)
- $21 for admission to Best of the Fest on Saturday, September 25, at 7:30 p.m. (up to a $43.75 value)
- $19 for admission to Tom Green on Friday, September 24, at 8 p.m. (up to a $38 value)
- $20 for admission to Gerry Dee on Thursday, September 23, at 8 p.m. (up to a $40 value)
- $20 for admission to Edge of the Fest on Saturday, September 25, at 10 p.m. (up to a $41.25 value)
The Global ComedyFest corrals some of the best and brightest comedians on the international circuit into Vancouver for a marathon of laughs, fun, and moderately uncomfortable first dates. Big names such as zany former MTV staple Tom Green perform alongside up-and-comers in more than 30 performances throughout the festival. Eschew the everyday monodimensional comedy with a combination stand-up and comedy 3-D video show featuring Canada's own Reza Peyk, Jy Harris, and Gary Fong, or opt for a night of “it’s funny because it’s true” laughs at the Gerry Dee show. The Edge of the Fest performance pushes the festival’s edgiest artists to the limits of social acceptability, while the Best of the Fest showcases top comedians such as Greg Behrendt and Peter Chao.
Live comedy is always more exciting than hearing it secondhand, in the same way that "you had to be there" to think your friend's latest mishap or quip was funny. The Global ComedyFest brings living, breathing comedians to your backyard to be laughed at and pelted with water balloons of joy.