- One-of-a-kind medical artifacts & oddities
- 52 weeks of free admission
- Museum store/parking discounts
About This Deal
Although it was once common practice to treat ailments with leeches, most doctors stopped using them when it was discovered that very few of the little bloodsuckers had actually graduated from medical school. Delve further into the history of health with today's Groupon, good for a yearlong membership to the Mütter Museum of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, located in Rittenhouse. Choose from two membership options:
- $27 for an individual membership (a $55 value)
- $42 for a family membership (an $85 value)
The Mütter Museum of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia gives guests a glimpse at artifacts, anatomical specimens, and other one-of-a-kind objects that help give dimension to medicine's rich history, as well as tell some of its most interesting stories. Meander through the diverse displays for an unusual eye feast that includes an assemblage of 2,000 objects once lodged in people's throats, a plaster torso cast of the conjoined twins Chang and Eng, and the tallest publicly displayed skeleton in North America that's not currently playing in the NBA. The museum's curious collection also features the relics of well-known doctors and other health helpers, antique instruments, and preserved pathological treasures, such as a cancerous growth removed from President Grover Cleveland after it spent 18 months masquerading as Secretary of the Navy William C. Whitney. The museum's collection comprises more than 20,000 priceless and often peculiar pieces, with temporary exhibits covering a broad spectrum of subjects as well.
All levels of membership to the Mütter Museum include 10% off at the museum store, discounted parking, invitations to exclusive members-only events such as flashlight tours and sleepovers, and a personalized membership card good for instant surgical street cred. Those with individual membership will receive 52 weeks of free admission for one, as well as two one-time guest passes for medicine-minded friends. A family membership offers a year of free museum admission for two adults and up to three children per household, in addition to two one-time guest passes for Uncle Dave and his imaginary friend.
This museum is not suggested for small children.
- Everything in the Mutter, which began as a private collection in the 1850s, is very Young Frankenstein: 10,000 horrifying antique surgical implements, shelves of swollen brains floating in fluid in vintage glass jars, and even the thorax of John Wilkes Booth. – Frommer's
- For those of you who love the Discovery Channel, you'll most certainly enjoy this stop at the Mutter Museum. – TheodensQueen, TripAdvisor