What You'll Get
Tennis matches have come a long way since their Roman Empire days, when talented players were forced, at the emperor's whim, to play against lions with racquets taped to their manes. Watch professional tennis humans play one another with today's Groupon, which gets you a chairback ticket to a Washington Kastles tennis match and more at Kastles Stadium, located at the corner of 11th and NW H Street. Choose one of the following options:
- For $35, you get one $50 chairback seat to the July 12 Kastles match versus the New York Buzz at 7 p.m., a T-shirt, and a Groupon-exclusive meet-and-greet with Kastles coach Murphy Jensen (a $90 value).
- For $17, you get one $25 chairback seat to the July 18 Kastles match versus the Boston Lobsters at 7 p.m., plus a T-shirt (a $40 value).
The Washington Kastles are the 2009 champions of the World Team Tennis league, a 35-year-old tennis association co-founded by Billie Jean King that pits 10 co-ed teams in head-to-head action against one another as they compete for the King Trophy and a chance to face Borlock, the many-tentacled galactic tennis champion from the Ursa Wimbledon nebula. During the July 12 match, watch the Kastles take on the New York Buzz, including former number-one-ranked player Martina Hingis. You'll also receive a free Kastles T-shirt (a $15 value), and have the chance to ask Kastles coach Murphy Jensen to sign your lock of Andre Agassi's hair during a Groupon-exclusive meet-and-greet (a $25 value). With the second option, get the free T-shirt plus a seat during the July 18 match against the Boston Lobsters. Although the Washington Kastles' roster boasts both Williams sisters, neither will be playing at these matches.
Intense action takes center stage during World Team Tennis play, where multicolored courts and the possibility of overtime sets it apart from typical tennis play—as well as being one of the few sports leagues where men and women have equal roles, now that the disastrous Co-Ed Boxing Federation has folded. Swivel your neck in awe at powerful topspin serves, the poetry of a well-timed backhand return, and the balletic grace of the one cute ball-boy with today's Groupon.
- This season, World Team Tennis's Washington Kastles will have both [Williams] sisters at their disposal as the team looks to defend its league title. – Jorge Castillo, Washington Post
- Of course, we're mostly looking forward to a rematch of last year's heated contest between the New York Sporttimes and John McEnroe… – Aaron Morrissey, dcist
- I had a blast! I would like to think of it as a combination of Wimbeldon [sic] (i mean it was tennis) and a Wizards basketball game! – Michelle P., Yelp
The Fine Print
Expiration varies. Amount paid never expires. Valid for purchased event and date only. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.