- Highly trained tour guides
- World-famous architecture
- See the city from a completely different angle
Groupon Customer Reviews
Error submitting request
Thank you for your response
About This Deal
Jump to: Reviews | See Chicago's Watery Depths
Gain vast amounts of Chicago building–knowledge with an architectural cruise down the super-famous Chicago River with Wendella Boats for $11, the same price as kids 11 and under and half off the regular $22 adult price.
Your 60-minute architectural exploration via boat begins at the Wrigley Building and winds through the heart of the city, past historic buildings by Mies van der Rohe to the cobs of Marina City. The guides all graduated from Wendella’s extensive in-house education program (the equivalent of an undergraduate course in architecture), so even seasoned Chicagoans will likely find new facts to absorb with their mind-sponge.
This Groupon is perfect if you’re struggling to plan the perfect itinerary for your out-of-town guests. Everyone hates awkward dinner conversation with a significant other, a family member, or Dennis Franz. Avoid feeling terrible, and bring your companion on board so someone else can take care of the talking. Afterward, you'll be able to discuss Chicago architecture at great length. The Wendella tour is also a great way to expand your sense of the city, giving Chicago that fresh laundry smell. Wendella offers Chicago River Architecture tours seven days a week. Your Groupon is good toward the 10 a.m. and 8:15 p.m. tours only and expires in six months.
- We decided to take the hour and a half architectural boat tour with Wendella Boats. The boat was very clean and comfortable. The crew were very friendly. – Legsfamily, TripAdvisor
- As far as tourist-y things go, I think this is one that you have to do if you visit Chicago during the warmer part of the year. The sights are breathtaking and you learn a lot of interesting information. – Jillian N., Yelp
- We did the river and lake tour on a beautiful day. Couldn't have been happier. The tour guide was great, providing lots of interesting insights into the history of everything [sic]. – Will K., Yelp
See Chicago’s Watery Depths
Advanced reservations will soon be available for Wendella’s Undersea Chicago River Experience, a domed submersible-zeppelin tour of the ancient underwater ruins of early Chicago that’s under construction until 2015. Some of the attractions you’ll see include:
- Original Richard J. Daley World Domination Lair
- Undisturbed aquatic race of Michael Jordans
- About 280 algae coated skeletons who thought Al Capone seemed like a “pretty cool dude, at first.”
- Deep, deep, deep-dish pizza.
- The Lost Treasure of Jim Belushi
About Wendella Tours & Cruises
In 1935, Albert Borgstrom, a Swedish immigrant, and carpenter by trade, set about constructing a 65-foot wooden yacht. He named the ship The Wendella and charged each visitor $0.25 to ride through the city, admire views, and listen to a guide expound on the sights. This simple vessel ended up being a steppingstone, and 75 years later, guests still ride along, now craning their heads back at the jagged opalescent silhouette of Trump Tower in the distance and the beehive curves of Marina City. Beneath the evolving skyline, the fleet has expanded to six vessels, which are now run by Albert's grandson, Michael Borgstrom. Wendella staffs a dedicated, in-house education department to keep the city's history alive and make sure that people continue to believe in water so it doesn’t disappear. On special excursions, the crew stocks the boats with wine for tastings beneath the stars or points the vessel through the verdigris waters of the lake to watch evening fireworks shows.