How to Promote Your Business with Facebook Live
By now, you’ve likely heard of Facebook Live, the live video broadcasting service from Facebook that launched earlier this year. Maybe you’ve seen a few live videos in your Facebook feed of your friends hanging out at events, on vacation, or doing other fun things, all caught live in real time. Facebook Live viewers can even see where live video is being shown around the world in real time. But did you also know that Facebook Live is a great tool to use to promote your business?
Your audience is definitely watching more videos on Facebook. In fact, recent studies have shown that they’re more likely to watch a video clip than read a text post. Part of this has been helped along by the fact that Facebook is paying brands and celebrities to shoot and share video clips to build up Facebook Live’s presence. But as a small business owner, you definitely should hop on the live video bandwagon to help grow your online and offline customers.
Start with a Business Page
To start using Facebook Live to promote your business, first you’ll need a business page. If you want to build a local presence for your business, you have to have a Facebook page. In marketing circles, this is a no-brainer.
Let’s assume you already have your personal page. Next, set up your Facebook business page (if you haven’t already). Check out Facebook’s SMB resources page for help in getting started.
Why Use Facebook Live Video for Your Business?
There are a lot of fun, creative ways to use Facebook Live to promote your business. Here are a few:
- Provide behind-the-scenes glimpses of your company’s facilities, staff, products, and more.
- Answer your followers’ questions about aspects of your business. Personalizing your company also resounds well with online audiences.
- Introduce a new product or service.
- Release information about upcoming events directly through live video.
Live Video on Your Phone
Since many small business owners manage their social media from their phones, let’s walk through the steps to get you going on Facebook Live using your mobile device:
- First, log onto your Facebook page. Post to let your followers know in advance that you’ll be ‘live’ on Facebook soon!
- Find a good reason to use Facebook Live. Maybe you run a lunch food stand and want to promote your new Groupon deal. You could also greet customers at the counter and show it on Facebook Live.
- Know what you want to say on live video or what you want to shoot. If you haven’t shot live video recently, then do a few practice runs on your phone with the setting on Private rather than Public viewing.
- Go to your Facebook status update box and click the live video icon (it’s the image of the human with circles above). Facebook will then prompt you to title your clip. Make sure to name it something memorable (not just ‘video clip’) that can be shared by friends.
- Click the “Go Live” button. Once you’re live, the screen will show real-time comments, the number of total viewers, and which friends are watching the video.
Marketers should remember to keep your video focused, fun (humor works!), and with a specific purpose or call to action. Facebook allows up to 90 minutes for live video posts. Take as long as you need, but realize that people have a limited attention span.
Most of all, be personable, have a purpose and make a compelling connection with your viewers. Soon, the Facebook Live audience for your business should start showing growth.
About the Author:
Dave Murrow is Chief Content Officer for ThinkFast Media. In his work, he creates content for technology and business companies, and national content platforms. He’s worked on the Web for years in marketing communications roles for major corporations, media outlets, and digital marketing agencies. Find him on Twitter at @DMurrow.
Any views, opinions, advice, or endorsements herein are the author’s and are not necessarily the views of Groupon or its partners.