After the Cronut: 12 Ideas for New Donut Hybrids that are Totally Awesome, We Promise
Like the unemployed cousin that won’t leave your couch, donut-hybrid pastries are here to stay. Dominique Ansel’s fabled cronut—a cross between a donut and a croissant—has already spawned some imitators, such as the doissant baked at Chocolate Crust in DC. But what other things could you combine with a donut to create pastries so hyped they could sell for $20 each on Craigslist? We at Groupon came up with some ideas. (Professional bakers: feel free to steal any of these.)
* Doe-nuts: donuts made from venison
* Bro-nuts: donuts soaked in Bud Light
* For the wine drinker: Bordeaux-nuts
* Grow-nuts: donuts laced with Human Growth Hormone
* Foe-nuts: donuts you've poisoned and given to an enemy—unless that enemy is a monarch, and then they’re overthrow-nuts
* Thoreau-nuts: donuts you made yourself from ingredients you found in the woods
* Van-Gogh-nuts: donuts dunked in absinthe
* Go-mo-ho-co-fro-yo-nuts: donuts topped with your godmother's homemade cocoa frozen yogurt
* Po-Po-nuts: just regular donuts that are currently being enjoyed by an off-duty police officer who earned them
* John-Doe-nuts: ?
* Quid-pro-quo-nuts: donuts exchanged for the mining rights to the Great Smoky Mountains
* Flow-nuts: not sure, but a sweet name for a rap duo
Sean O’Toole contributed donut jokes to this article.